Homebuilt Mikasa with Fostex 126E - what amp? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Tias is offline Tias  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hey Zman,

Looked into the amps, they all look pretty sweet, but yes, no build will be best for the beginning.
Somebody here in NZ suggested the Yarland FV-34C-IV which at $900NZ is a good price.

Yes, the sub is active, it's a Velodyne CHT12.

Do these valve amps come with a sub connection or does that need to be connected a different way?

Cheers,

Ts.
Old 12th September 2012, 06:23 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Do you guys get taxed to death? I know that shipping won't be cheap.

$900 NZD ~ $730 Yarland FV-34C-IV-EU Integrated Amplifier | USA Hi-Fi

I've actually heard one of these. Not a bad little amp PP EL84 amp. One of those Chinese pre-built kits i mentioned.

As to the sub, you'd need to do some mods to get a woofer out, likely best to just run the woofer REL-style, the velodyne have speaker level inputs?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro13_1.jpg (32.7 KB, 74 views)
Old 12th September 2012, 06:30 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tias View Post
the sub is active, it's a Velodyne CHT12.
CHT-12Q or CHT-12R?

Both have speaker level in.

dave
Old 12th September 2012, 09:33 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Do you guys get taxed to death? I know that shipping won't be cheap.e
We are at the end of the world here Most high end electronics are more expensive here. But otherwise it's a great country

Actually not sure yet which Velodyne it is, picking it up on Saturday. But it is a CHT12.

Would you mind explaining what REL style means? I know of the brand but not about the way they do things.

Cheers,

Tias
Old 12th September 2012, 05:24 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We are at the end of the world here
well, every spot is an antipode to somewhere - depending where exactly you're at in NZ, that'd be approx region of Spain/France/Portugal, or surrounding ocean.

judging by the current economic situation in 2 of those, you could well be better off where you are

Quote:

Most high end electronics are more expensive here. But otherwise it's a great country
I have a daughter living in Bermuda, they same much the same thing about most of their imported goods (which is pretty much everything) , as the price of admission to "paradise" (of course we feel the same way about our little "island republic")

Quote:

Actually not sure yet which Velodyne it is, picking it up on Saturday. But it is a CHT12.

Would you mind explaining what REL style means? I know of the brand but not about the way they do things.

Cheers,

Tias
from REL website:

Subwoofer Manufacturer, Quality | Technology | REL Acoustics
Old 12th September 2012, 05:38 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Would you mind explaining what REL style means?
Short version: Let the sats run free, bring the sub in below their natural roll off.

dave
Old 12th September 2012, 06:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Short version: Let the sats run free, bring the sub in below their natural roll off.

dave

Nothing revolutionary about that part really - most plate style sub amps I've seen / used allow for that, as well as most newer models have a LFE input that bypasses the internal LP XO and relies on the surround processor's bass management for the .1 (or .2?) input

What does appear to be somewhat different (unique?)on the 2 or 3 current models I looked at on the REL website is the inclusion of balanced XLR and Speakon connections among the range of lo and hi level inputs. Magical? maybe not - but certainly very flexible, and the proprietary high level input cables are supplied, so there's no stumbling around looking for the right adapter (just don't loose the 4 conductor Speakon cable)

I've never heard any of these, or Velodynes for that matter and I'm sure both brand's reputations are well deserved.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:02 PM   #18
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Looked up the Yarland FV-34C-IV - it's a push-pull amp - would a SET amp be a better match with the FE126E?
Old 12th September 2012, 08:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes Chris, no complaints for where I live. Actually moved here 7 years ago from Belgium. So I know well how it is in Europe. Better in NZ imo.

I understood what you said Dave.
But I have no idea what it all means what you said Chris.

So much to learn, but it's about time I learned more than just which brands make good stuff.

Thanks again, I'll start googling those terms.

Ts
Old 12th September 2012, 08:57 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes Chris, no complaints for where I live. Actually moved here 7 years ago from Belgium. So I know well how it is in Europe. Better in NZ imo.

I understood what you said Dave.
But I have no idea what it all means what you said Chris.
If you mean reply #17 - that was in reference to the REL products having a wider range of input connections than are typically found on most "plate amps" used in self contained sub woofers. Most amps have either 5-way binding posts or spring terminals for the high ( speaker)-level inputs - the RELS use a 4 conductor Speakon jack ( a great connector, not used widely enough ) and come with the required cable/connector.

Model T7:

Click the image to open in full size.

Some also include XLR (balanced line) inputs, as well as feed-throughs for both the line and speaker levels connections.

Quote:
So much to learn, but it's about time I learned more than just which brands make good stuff.

Thanks again, I'll start googling those terms.

Ts
take your time, thanks to the internet, DIY is an open book test - and you're the adjudicator

Hide this!Advertise here!