New Jordan driver - preliminary details - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2012, 12:40 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
Ted Jordan is still alive? How old is he? Anyone know?
Yes indeed. He's in his early - mid '80s if memory serves.
Old 10th September 2012, 12:41 PM   #32
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
Ted Jordan is still alive? How old is he? Anyone know?
This article will give you a rough idea:

Ted Jordan - early years

Edit: Scott's estimate is spot on
Old 10th September 2012, 01:47 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Scott: yes, the Bandor 50, and 150. These i likened to A6 and A10, and their Jordan counterparts. I have to confess, my intended use for any of those drivers would be widerange rather than fullrange, so you are correct about the Bandors. This new Jordan looks like a good alternative to the Bandor150, for me at least. I expect id use these as I would the A10BW.

Bill: Part of me wishes id bought the Bandor50 for midtweeter duties, instead, or as well as the Alpair6s.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th September 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10th September 2012, 02:12 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

A10BW?

Right, although the 50 is about 30% smaller than the Alpair 6P/M, and the 150 is nearly 250% larger than the Alpair 10.2, so we're not really comparing like with like. Nice drivers though, the Bandors. Agreed, & less than nothing wrong with running wideband with support. My current favourite unit for midtweet duties is the FF85wk (same as Dave), which is roughly the same size as the Bandor 50. Not much to choose between any of the 50mm Bandors & the Fostex in terms of measured response (i.e. they're all extremely good); the latter is a bit cheaper & easier to get hold of for a lot of people though.
Old 10th September 2012, 02:17 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Bandor 50s, Alpair 6 and JXR6's are all fantastic in their own ways and surprisingly different sounding. May i throw in a similar size non metal driver, the Omnes 3.01. Just bought a pair and they are ace.
Old 10th September 2012, 02:34 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

haha this is great! Just when i think i know what im talking about... Of course the A6 isnt a 2incher...doh. The MA names confuse me, but its a poor excuse. As for 2 inchers, both the TB W2-800SL (20 quid) and the Visaton FRS5X (6 quid) are both pretty damned good. What i paid counts in this case, the TBs are cleaner. The Omnes look ok, arent those 3inch-ish like the A6, and like the W3s i have.

Oh and i think i meant the A12 basswide. No matter, the moment passed long ago.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th September 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: theyre 4 inch! Doh.
Old 10th September 2012, 02:52 PM   #37
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Bill,

The Omnes drivers look interesting - what application are you using them in? How is the dispersion?

One forum member strongly recommedns the Tangband 3" for dispersion and depth of 3D soundtsage:

Tang Band W3-1797S 3" Neodymium Midrange Driver 264-888

Any experience with this one?

Mondo - A12BW - don't recall such a driver in existence...
Old 10th September 2012, 03:20 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Zman, i dont recall the model, but it was the basswide. Initially thought it was an A10, then thought it was an A12. Now im confused beyond belief.

As for the 3 inch Tangbands, my experience is good. I dont have the driver you mention, but I have the W3_1285SG and these sound really good, no notches required and very flat.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th September 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10th September 2012, 04:12 PM   #39
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The original Bandor 50 shared some features with the original Jordan 50mm module. Both have been developed since they first appeared in the late 1970s.

AFAIK, the larger Bandor units have only ever been intended as bass units to support the 50mm unit - the Pentachord design used one, for instance - potentially getting a higher performance than a larger, wideband driver on its own.

Jordan and Bandor have been championing the benefits a low-crossover, wideband driver since the late 70s.

30 years on, we're seeing BMR-based speakers appear which push the same philosophy, such as the Naim, Etude and the Martin Colloms Rhythm King DIY design.

What goes around, etc …
Old 10th September 2012, 04:17 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Bill,

The Omnes drivers look interesting - what application are you using them in? How is the dispersion?
3-1.jpg

I stuck one in a simple box and it sounded v good, can't comment on stereo imaging just yet..the chassis diameter is also v compact and it seems to go quite loud too. I'll use them in a 'omni' transmission line, a plastic pipe with a central section to double the length.

Hide this!Advertise here!