New Jordan driver - preliminary details - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 01:44 AM   #211
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want to use the full version newer of Mathcad (not the free version that doesn't let you save) it will probably not work on a Windows emulator as it has a picky (vile) anti piracy protector program that needs root access (admin privileges) and installation on a real pc O/S.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:04 PM   #212
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

An update to this thread now that I've trundled down to darkest Wales to visit Ted Jordan.

Ted gave me a pretty thorough dem of the new Eikonas, initially running them in a pair of 6 litre enclosures, without any BSC or EQ. They were being run in place of his usual JXR6 linear arrays.

I thought the new drivers sounded very good indeed. Better balanced than the JX92, with none of the HF lift evident on my (Vifa-built) 92s. Imaging was excellent. Overall I rated the sound as good as the arrays. And they go loud.

In the 6L box they went down to the mid-70s. From there he was blending them in with a pair of powered subs. It made for a nice, wide-bandwidth system. On a lot of music, we didn't miss the subs when they were switched off.

Ted then ran an Eikona in one of his VTL enclosures (slightly modded to take the unit). Now it had serious welly, with strong output to 35Hz or so. The wider baffle also made a difference, giving it a bit of body.

Finally, Ted ran the Eikona in a two-way arrangement with the JXR6. I'm not sure of the crossover frequency but the JXR6 didn't seem to add anything. I would say the Eikona's HF is good enough without it. I rate the JXR6 very highly but won't be using one when I get my hands on the Eikona.

Hope that's of interest. I'm looking forward to what I can do with these little blighters when I get my hands on a pair.
Old 24th May 2013, 01:58 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Ted then ran an Eikona in one of his VTL enclosures (slightly modded to take the unit). Now it had serious welly, with strong output to 35Hz or so. The wider baffle also made a difference, giving it a bit of body.
In view of a possible driver update I think very intersting for older VTL Jordan owners like me to see a guide on how to modify old VTL enclosures for Eikona!

northernsky
Old 24th May 2013, 03:50 PM   #214
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hope that's of interest.
Yes, thanks! I had a hard time justifying the 92's bang/buck, but am cautiously optimistic about its replacement if production versions work well in existing [ML]TL designs without having to trade any efficiency to 'fill' them.

GM
Old 25th May 2013, 07:38 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
In view of a possible driver update I think very intersting for older VTL Jordan owners like me to see a guide on how to modify old VTL enclosures for Eikona!

northernsky
There's a new VTL plan on the Jordan site and here

Eikona Loudspeaker Systems

The cutout needs increasing to 122mm. If keeping the same cutout as the JX92, the new chassis stands proud by about 7mm (i.e. the chassis rim won't fit flush with the baffle because the rest of the chassis is too wide). A turned, circular sub-baffle would sort that and enable the new driver to be fitted without major surgery to the VTL cabinet.

I thought the Eikona sounded rather nice in the VTL. I wonder how it will do in Greg's MLTLs?
Old 25th May 2013, 09:30 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The cutout needs increasing to 122mm. If keeping the same cutout as the JX92, the new chassis stands proud by about 7mm (i.e. the chassis rim won't fit flush with the baffle because the rest of the chassis is too wide). A turned, circular sub-baffle would sort that and enable the new driver to be fitted without major surgery to the VTL cabinet.
Hi, thank you for the suggestions. Currently I am using the suggested BSC with the old drivers in the VTL cabinet. It is not mentioned in the new plan: not necessary anymore?

northernsky
Old 25th May 2013, 12:35 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

It'll depend on your room placement and amplifier, but in many situations, based on the published data, I suspect it will not be needed.
Old 25th May 2013, 01:19 PM   #218
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wonder how it will do in Greg's MLTLs?
Well, you have couple and have the 'ear' of the designer, so was kind of hoping you'd be the alpha tester............

GM
Old 25th May 2013, 01:39 PM   #219
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Better balanced than the JX92, with none of the HF lift evident on my (Vifa-built) 92s.
Hi Colin, was Ted's seating arrangement on-axis instead of the JX92's recommended crossed toe-in?
Old 25th May 2013, 06:48 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Hi RDF - The Eikona's were toed-in like the JX92s but that is his preferred set up. It wasn't necessary to get the sound balance right as it is with the 92s.

GM - got me there. After I made the remark I started wondering how to do it. Getting the drivers will be the first step …

Due to the way I built my MLTLs, I can't adjust the port length (they are buried inside the cabinet) but I think a sub-baffle will be easy enough to organise.

Hide this!Advertise here!