New Jordan driver - preliminary details - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2012, 09:09 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

It is reasonable to believe that most will not like the extra woodwork to make the driver look good/finished in a cabinet, me included. However, that extra woodwork would not deter me from buying an extraordinary driver, albeit this remains to be seen with this Jordan. It is also reasonable to believe, given the increased competition (Markaudio and Dayton, etc.) which was not present when the JX92s was first released, Ted Jordan would not create another obstacle for potential diyers, unless it yields much high higher performance.

Having said the above, and as much as I liked the original JX92s and think Ted Jordan is a talented designer and gentleman, I would opt for a similar performing driver without the hassle of doing extra woodwork.
Old 25th December 2012, 09:54 PM   #102
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
The whole speaker is smaller in width/height and depth, which will make it easier to fit in triangular enclosures, narrow cabinets, etc.
The wider circular bezels of some of the drivers we commonly use have certainly precluded them being designed into some of our standard shaped designs, and have provided challenges to cabinet design.

dave
Old 26th December 2012, 07:02 AM   #103
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The wider circular bezels of some of the drivers we commonly use have certainly precluded them being designed into some of our standard shaped designs, and have provided challenges to cabinet design.

dave

ah yes, but with drivers that perform at this level, the sonic benefits far outweigh the extra design and fabrication "issues"
Old 26th December 2012, 07:46 AM   #104
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
ah yes, but with drivers that perform at this level, the sonic benefits far outweigh the extra design and fabrication "issues"
Indeed. And making us think harder pushed the entire family forward.

dave
Old 26th December 2012, 10:08 AM   #105
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I used to rarely fit grilles to my DIY speakers but the commercial actives I'm using at present have them. In addition to protection, not being able to see the drivers moving aids the impression that the speakers themselves are not projecting the music. For that reason alone, I'd add grilles in future.
Old 26th December 2012, 07:12 PM   #106
jacozz is offline jacozz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

... 84 db sensitivity?
Progress or just... a fools errand?
I know that the britts have a thing for speakers that require 1k watts to come alive, but come on? this is a step back.

Why?
I think MarkAudio have better alternatives here.

/Jacozz
Old 26th December 2012, 07:36 PM   #107
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacozz View Post
... 84 db sensitivity?
Progress or just... a fools errand?
I know that the britts have a thing for speakers that require 1k watts to come alive, but come on? this is a step back.

Why?
I think MarkAudio have better alternatives here.
About the same as the A7. Althou closer in size to the A10.2 which is ~87.

dave
Old 26th December 2012, 07:49 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Call me old-fasioned, but I will need to hear this driver before complaining about it.
Old 26th December 2012, 07:56 PM   #109
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Call me old-fasioned, but I will need to hear this driver before complaining about it.

+1

dave
Old 26th December 2012, 08:49 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
The new shape doesn't bother me other than requiring a bit of extra woodwork. I prefer my speakers behind grilles, especially the alloy cone variety; the shiny surface is too tempting to the "ooh what's that made of then?" brigade.
My complain on the new shape is just because to replace my damaged Jx92 drivers in my vtl cabinet i have to go again for the EAD drivers.

Northernsky

Hide this!Advertise here!