New Jordan driver - preliminary details

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like a phase plug ??

Attachments

• New Jordan driver.jpg
    New Jordan driver.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,384
Hmmm....

Nothing to get excited about so far compared to the 2008 version tested by Zaph.

Very low Qms is usually the remit of very budget (AV) drivers, I can see what P10's
comment is about regarding the low Qms, but most are very suspicious of very high
mechanical damping due to possible / probable hysteresis effects.

I don't know the politics, but I'm expecting it to be a very expensive driver for what is.

rgds, sreten.

I am afraid that may be true. And it has a long way to go to catch up with A7.3/A10.2

dave

Dave, the new Jordan driver isn't out yet but you are already dismissing it due to predicted insufficient performance and higher price. Do I sense a little bias here again?
I have compared 10.2 to a XJ92 non shielded version and they are different animals. However, harmonic content, power handling of 92 were superior to A10. A10.2 is $110 while non shielded xj-92 was around $150. Not exactly a world of difference. Not to mention crumbling cones of A10 under stress.

Why don't we wait for the new Jordans to come out and then see what they are actually capable of. Ted has been around for a while and I think he's got a few tricks up his sleeve.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave, the new Jordan driver isn't out yet but you are already dismissing it due to predicted insufficient performance and higher price.

I am not dismissing it at all. Competition is good and i would not dismiss Ted's capabilities out of hand. If pricing is similr to what it has been in the past -- as pointed out by Sreten -- then it could be expensive. And that catch up is needed is just a fact, i didn't say Ted + Lowther couldn't do it.

To be truly competitive, strides (over JX92) need to happen, and they need to be priced agressively.

dave

Price per se is irrelevant, as more options are always better, and in reality, these two boutique companies end up making each other and the market stronger. So the competition angle doesn't hold much sway because this is a very small market. Adding a zero or two gets into Feastrex territory, and honestly, some of those drivers are worth the price (and some aren't).

I will buy the Jordans as well as more Alpairs, Fostex, even the Omega DIY driver if that ever comes out. If the Jordans prove to be less destructible, that would also factor into price-performance. It's exciting that there's at least a -chance- of something new and great coming out.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... more options are always better, and in reality, these two boutique companies end up making each other and the market stronger.

Indeed. FR vrs multi-way. The more choices the stronger the segment and the more manufacturers can put into R&D.

I'll get a pair of these when i can, just to see for myself where they land.

dave

I was also a bit surprised by sreten's immediate dismissal, base don a few numbers (as opposed to listening). Mr. Jordan's knowledge about speaker design is highly regarded, hence I am more neutral/positivily curious about this new driver.

It is true that Markaudio also makes very nice boutique drivers at a price that is not crazy. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to diy currently as I am living in a condo until the end of next year, otherwise I would have ordered their A12P already. Meanwhile I keep reading and thinking of future projects, in fact I want to have audio in all rooms of my house, and it will be a mix of multiway and fullrange drivers ...

Unfortunately it is difficult for me to diy currently as I am living in a condo until the end of next year, otherwise I would have ordered their A12P already. Meanwhile I keep reading and thinking of future projects, in fact I want to have audio in all rooms of my house, and it will be a mix of multiway and fullrange drivers ...

Talaerts,

How about ordering a flat-pak from TwinAudio and going to Hong Kong for a day trip to pay Mark a visit and pick up the drivers (and the flat-paks)... should save you the post, and there should be a few good deals for Sg-HK from the budget airlines operators... :D

You can check out a few other things audio in Hong Kong too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.