Driver reccomendations for a new full-range build. - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 03:48 PM   #61
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: vancouver
Those are Great! If they work well that's even a Bonus.
Regards to your desire for a decent multi driver:
Do you have an unquenchable urge to DIY??
IF not.. Then respectfully suggest looking at a (used even :-) pair of Vandersteen 2Ce's (Or better). These, goofy looking things, when fitted with a min 100/150w 'clean' amplifier are genuinely impressive speakers.
IMO as good as one can get without jumping into the serious coin levels.
FAR better than a pair of Lowthers I wasted 2+ years 'fooling' with :
Audition a pair. ?. if only for curiosity/ basic reference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 04:48 PM   #62
diyAudio Member
 
nonsuchpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bowie, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Those are Great! If they work well that's even a Bonus.
Regards to your desire for a decent multi driver:
Do you have an unquenchable urge to DIY??
IF not.. Then respectfully suggest looking at a (used even :-) pair of Vandersteen 2Ce's (Or better). These, goofy looking things, when fitted with a min 100/150w 'clean' amplifier are genuinely impressive speakers.
IMO as good as one can get without jumping into the serious coin levels.
FAR better than a pair of Lowthers I wasted 2+ years 'fooling' with :
Audition a pair. ?. if only for curiosity/ basic reference.
Honesty, No, I have no real desire to do it myself. I just cant afford what I want. I have decent amps and eventually will grab a tube amp of some sort to power the FRs.
__________________
My Studio
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 06:17 PM   #63
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: vancouver
Fair enough.
A wee story tho :-)
A good friend has been Lusting after a Porsche 911 for 40! years.
Always claiming poverty. Notwithstanding that the local Dealer always has a couple or 6 used ones available for the same price as a new Accord.
Certainly not free, but affordable if one has a 36 month life expectancy.
In the ensuing decades he has spent many tens of $ thousands, years of weekend and evening work dicking around with his beater cars.
In the belief/hope of Diy ing a 'Porsche beater' ... As if .
End result he still has No Money, is 40 years older and still No Porsche. Laughable waste of a lifetime lust imo.. if it wasn't so pathetic.

PS: Vandy's 2 ce's run ~$1k used, last time I looked. A DIY effort will run at least half of that.. likely more by the 3rd 'try'.
IMO don't be lusting after tube amps :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 07:04 PM   #64
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Fair enough.
A wee story tho :-)
A good friend has been Lusting after a Porsche 911 for 40! years.
Always claiming poverty. Notwithstanding that the local Dealer always has a couple or 6 used ones available for the same price as a new Accord.
Certainly not free, but affordable if one has a 36 month life expectancy.
In the ensuing decades he has spent many tens of $ thousands, years of weekend and evening work dicking around with his beater cars.
In the belief/hope of Diy ing a 'Porsche beater' ... As if .
End result he still has No Money, is 40 years older and still No Porsche. Laughable waste of a lifetime lust imo.. if it wasn't so pathetic.

well maybe he's had 40yrs of fun playing with his DIY beaters, and I'd wager the auto geeks (no me) could nominate many brands of "lesser" vehicles with higher lifetime mileage and lower operating costs than a 911

Quote:

PS: Vandy's 2 ce's run ~$1k used, last time I looked. A DIY effort will run at least half of that.. likely more by the 3rd 'try'.
IMO don't be lusting after tube amps :-)
The Vandy's lower sensitivity and 4-way XO & driver configuration would certainly shorten the list of tube amps capable of squeezing all the juice from the lemon.

The only pair of these that I've heard was over 10yrs ago, driven IINM by Quicksilver Mini Mite mono blocks (25W P/P?) - frankly an altogether "meh" experience, but of course, YMMV, and a higher power SS amp could be all these puppies need.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 11:36 PM   #65
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland USA
The 1611's did show up today, they look well made/solid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
1611s are a size larger, 5 1/4" class vrs 4 1/2"

dave
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 03:42 AM   #66
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
I hope you enjoy them!
__________________
Then again, what do I know?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 09:26 AM   #67
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Forget ported with Linkwitz transform, it's really only effective with sealed. You'll also run out of power very quickly if you're using a valve amp with limited output, and be pushing it into high distortion too.

You could try the compact BR I did for the 12P; it's covering most acoustic music, & doesn't make a bad fist of Massive Attack for what it is. If you want sub-bass, you've got the wrong driver & wrong amp. You'd be better off adding a powered sub.
Everyone, I guess a reminder is needed. A Linkwitz transform is ONLY for low Q sealed cabinets. Doing bass extension on any other system is not an LT, and also not too smart. It may seem like a bother, but he will explain it to you on his site.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 09:27 AM   #68
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
2Ce's are a great benchmark. They are the " so, you think you can do better" speaker. Most can't.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time Full Range Build tshaq Full Range 5 10th March 2012 06:00 PM
Ok, so I want to build my first open-baffle full-range uncle_leon Full Range 75 2nd September 2011 09:04 PM
No-Name full range Driver ArjenShenzhen Full Range 13 18th August 2008 12:19 PM
Full range PS cabs? Anyone build any?? Zero Cool Multi-Way 6 27th March 2007 03:19 PM
My first potential full range project (reccomendations?) fazman Full Range 4 1st August 2006 10:12 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:21 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2