China made 4" fullrange advise wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
´«³Ð¾­µä ³¬ÖµÀûºÃQ4ÈÕ±¾È«ÆµÀ®°È µ¨»úÊé¼ÜÒôÏä ·¢ÉÕHIFIÒôÏì-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Sorry for the description is Chinese. You could look at the picture.

Power range: 60-100W
Frequency: 55Hz-25KHz
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Sensitivity: 89db/W
Dimension: W(158mm)*H(265mm)*D(245mm)
Weight: Around 12KG/pair

Really deep base not need, for I believe better pair with sub woofer if I want the deep low base.

I concern the performance above 80hz, may be 100HZ + .

Thanks for advice.

I may buy one. My concern is the bass is so powerful as the users comments said. I am comparing with a peerless 5" two way speaker.

I think the sense of "full powerful bass" is usually come from 70-115Hz. So I concern this frequency.

Another concern is I am using a class B amp with regulated power supply. The psu impedance may too high for 4 Ohm speaker.

I am sorry don't have spec. of the speaker. Hopefully there may some user has experience with this speaker.

GM

Joined 2003
If you say so. I didn't try to Google translate the page. The response plot shows a high Q peak around 110 Hz, but do not know if it is because it has a high Q motor or it was measured in a too small box.

Maybe best to just make/use a sealed box as shown and XO it to a 'sub' system around 70-80 Hz. If the little box sounds too 'strong', then vent it to lower its tuning.

GM

Weiyan,

Here are a few easy tips:

If the midbass is too strong, you can try to position further away from the rear and side walls. I would put them on taller stands too.

You may also want to plug the port with a foam or rubber bung.

Try to use an amp that sounds "lean", say small T-amps, instead of "warm" sounding ones.

Hope that helps.

Boris

4 inch and "powerful" bass does not match. Lack of high frequencies that give it a bias to the lower hundreds does. IMHO, trying to fix a bad speaker with problems in the many percent range with differences in amps in the .00 something range is useless.

4 inch and 100 Hz is a reasonable target IF the driver was made to do that and IF the room is not too large and IF you don't play it too loud. I am not yet convinced a 4 inch driver is usefull at all above about 8000 unless augmented with a wizzer cone with all of its problems.

The specs above are wishful thinking on the manufactures part.

Well, you may not want to hear my opinion, but lately, I was thinking of going the 2-way route with 3" full range drivers and woofers.

(Or, actually a cheaper alternative to mention for the fun of it would be to choose the TDA2030A chip and hook up 2 full rangers and a woofer although stereo woofers would sound better. The TDA2030A is a 2.1 chip and cheaper than the LM1875. I know there are kit boards on eBay but don't know the quality level on those. I also read it's better to put on a heat sink on chip amps.)

Dunno I have a 40 yr old :) pair of B R boxed Speakers (bought new) that I will never 'lose' These are 8" fullrangers (I assume) Never opened the boxes.. true.
These sound absolutely marvelous.Good bass (not feel it in yer belly type but decent by any yardstick) lovely midrange on voice, a bit rolled off in the highs.. Dohh! But pleasantly so.
These are exceptionally 'listenable' speakers. I use them as test beds for mods and 'new' gear. Bit tricky as evaluators tho, as almost everything sounds 'great' on these rascals.
Shame really, they deserve better.
Point is :eek:
Why? burden oneself with a complex array of 'puter speaker' drivers to achieve what a simple 8 incher in a ported box can do..effortlessly?

Dunno I have a 40 yr old :) pair of B R boxed Speakers (bought new) that I will never 'lose' These are 8" fullrangers (I assume) Never opened the boxes.. true.
These sound absolutely marvelous.Good bass (not feel it in yer belly type but decent by any yardstick) lovely midrange on voice, a bit rolled off in the highs.. Dohh! But pleasantly so.
These are exceptionally 'listenable' speakers. I use them as test beds for mods and 'new' gear. Bit tricky as evaluators tho, as almost everything sounds 'great' on these rascals.
Shame really, they deserve better.
Point is :eek:
Why? burden oneself with a complex array of 'puter speaker' drivers to achieve what a simple 8 incher in a ported box can do..effortlessly?

...because 8" full rangers won't have the same high frequency detail as 3" FRs? That's aside from having the lower freuqencies off-loaded to woofers. Maybe I'm the one veering off-course here. It's the original poster's choice.

Trust me, I WANTED to believe completely in full rangers. But the more I read, the more I started leaning towards a 2-way. 3-ways require more power which in my opinion sometimes lead to un-natural voice quality (from what I heard on more powerful systems).

Thanks for all suggestions.

fakeout's suggestion is just what I think about deep base. In future may add a D amp or an active sub woofer. At this moment a speaker good above 70Hz is ok.

I am using a pair of 5" China made cheap enough and ultra poor enclosure. Its charming if playing old jazz, string quartet and some Chinese pop female vocals. I just want to extend more base for I sometimes listen to Rock and blues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.