taming harshness of fostex FF125WK - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2012, 06:45 PM   #61
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

You did that with a "skill saw" good example what can be done if you put your mind to it
[compound angles are the worst to deal with]

Again, nice job, design, wish I could hear them.

Q. Does the tall angle boxes have baffles? What is the volume?
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:57 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

yes a skill saw no joke. I had a guy helping me cut most of it and then I had to finsh putting them together and cut as well. Yes its the worst but, the most cool looking I think. No baffles just the front wood glued to the both sides. The volume I don't knoe but, my next one will be done using the correct volume for the drivers. Hay if your near canton michigan stop over you can hear them any time. Thanks it was alot of testing. I took a part the boxes 2 ta 3 times and I kept listening and had non-audio people come over and listen and they liked this the best. I did spend 20 or more hours working on the boxes and testing. Now back to the design and drawing board. Also they were at 37" inchs tall but, I guess I was not looking and forget to cut it down and is now at 40 or 41 inchs. Well have to make sure its done right the first time. jm

Last edited by cross reference; 3rd September 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:56 PM   #63
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Okey sounds good. If the glue stays sticky will that attract dust? I Just thinking more dust more problems?Just a thought? jm
Does not stay sticky. I also tried a 3M "scrapbook makers" glue and a 3D fabric paint. All of these produce something about half the density of a hot melt glue stick. Denser and stiffer than RTV.
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:57 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Okey I thought I read sticky sorry jm
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:14 PM   #65
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The way zig dries is that it remains somewhat sticky if it dries in the presence of oxygen (provides adhesion similar to a post-it note., acts as glue if not (ie between 2 pieces of paper)

dave
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:20 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Okey that makes sense. Thanks jm
Old 4th September 2012, 09:11 AM   #67
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Sometimes volume is hard to calculate with "crazy shapes"....can away use 2 litter bottle with sand or cardboard box with shipping peanuts.

E.g. fill a 12" x 12" X 12" (or whatever size you need) cardboard box with peanuts and just pour them in the speaker box, (semi finished).

Even if math is a attribute, this is a final/double check.

Quote:
yes a skill saw no joke. I had a guy helping me cut most of it and then I had to finsh putting them together and cut as well. Yes its the worst but, the most cool looking I think. No baffles just the front wood glued to the both sides. The volume I don't knoe but, my next one will be done using the correct volume for the drivers. Hay if your near canton michigan stop over you can hear them any time. Thanks it was alot of testing. I took a part the boxes 2 ta 3 times and I kept listening and had non-audio people come over and listen and they liked this the best. I did spend 20 or more hours working on the boxes and testing. Now back to the design and drawing board. Also they were at 37" inchs tall but, I guess I was not looking and forget to cut it down and is now at 40 or 41 inchs. Well have to make sure its done right the first time. jm
Old 15th September 2012, 04:43 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Attachment 299489
The same box as #1. but, a different finish and clear coating and and the wires and stuffing and damping in the boxes. I built this box around the fe126en drivers but, the boxes are to tall and need to be deeper. I will be reworking this type of box in my next project. I took them to a local hi-fi shop and theytold me I could market my product. Well its been alot of hours testing and more to come. Jm
Jim, the setup is very similar to the metronome except the metronome is better imho. The major difference is where the port is and definitely the port higher models better. However because the metronome has a port to the bottom and the bottom is sitting on a smooth floor it makes it a kind of double chamber. The other item is if you model the port on the side, the back or on the front you'll see major changes and with the metronome these changes even each other out.

The FF165WK would be a better driver without the peak. Also the FF85WK does not have the peak but its power is limited and so is the bass. The FF105WK may be an option.

We have our home on the market and when there is an "open home" I have some background music. Already I have had several requests for building a pair unfortunately health is prohibiting that. I am presently tossing up building a pair for in my office (the FF125WK were destined to go into the office but my wife has taken possesion of them) with either the FE103En or the FF105WK. The FE103E(n) is a cult driver in Japan and does not ahve the peak but excursion is limited and so is bass. From what I can gather on the FF105WK is that the peak / dips change when listening off axis which leads me to believe that a metal grill will improve things. I certainly found that to be the case on the FF125WK (needed a grill in a hurry so ordered the Fostex grills - they'll fit but you'll need to remove the raised paper ring on the FF125WK). Those who scoff at the idea: the LS3/5A used a grill on the tweeter, not for protection but for improving the HF response. It is true that they look ugly.

Last edited by AmadeusMozart; 15th September 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 16th September 2012, 01:11 PM   #69
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

" The FF165WK would be a better driver without the peak. Also the FF85WK does not have the peak but its power is limited and so is the bass. The FF105WK may be an option."

Exactly what I found trying to make the 125 work. It just seems to be the problem child of the series.
Old 16th September 2012, 04:24 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

De ye want to take a bet on that? Oi mean, since for some strange reason you gentlemen seem to object to a 10dB peak at 7KHz in the FF125wk (understandable), methinks you're not likely to enjoy a ~8dB peak in the FF105wk at 7.25KHz much more.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 16th September 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!