taming harshness of fostex FF125WK - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 10:33 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

well, the 125 spike looks pretty narrow (high q). That's not as easy to notch filter passively.

Norman
Old 17th September 2012, 02:31 PM   #92
jdm91 is offline jdm91  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
None of the current gen FE have banana pulp cones. Well it said it in the driver specs and info so please explain? Now the FF series doesn't have the yellow cones really need to do something about that color.
Hello dave I meant this type of cone. Took it from the fe126en drivers copyed it.

Fostex FE126En 4" Full Range
ES Banana Pulp Cone. Banana fiber pulp provides a fine, supple and dense cone material which improves mid-high frequency response.
Treated cloth surround. (new version, thus the new "n" in the name)
The low Qts makes this driver useful in back loaked horn enclosure.

I really don't think their is anything new with the new versions but, again who am I?

Quote:
None of the $50 Fostex are big enuff for a whizzer cone (something that if possible should be avoided). And usually if there is no whizzer a phase plug not needed. Nothing wrong with the Fostex magnets or frames.

They definitely benefit from a work over.

I can relate. I personally prefer the smaller drivers. And i don't ever live with them stock. The FF85wKeN is one of my favorite 3 drivers.

Feel free. My email is on any of my sites. I can mail you back some of the comments from some of my clients.

It is a 4 1/2" driver.

This driver is one of their higher-end drivers. It sports a whole lot of expensive Alnico. I feel it is up on the part of the vlue curve where you start paying a lot for small increments of improvement. The broadly similar FX120 is a much better value. Jeff can add comments about them. Before & after. Thanks for the info it helps.

dave
Old 17th September 2012, 02:39 PM   #93
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

the problem with the 127's was that they sounded nice. It was only after quite some time of listening that a bit of fatigue settled in. And then I suspected the amp. After awhile you start to realize that each time you sit down to listen to the stock drivers, that listening fatigue is inevitable and sooner or later you find it's the first thing on your mind when you fire them up. Then you can't ignore it - you hear it as soon as the darn things are powered up. So listening to these drivers in the store doesn't tell you if you can live with them or not. There may be people for whom these drivers do not fatigue but it seems there's only one way to find out if it affects you or not. Since there are other drivers to choose from out there, why bother with the 125 when the FR plot looks rather like the 127. Not worth the time and effort to me. YMMV.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 17th September 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:43 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusMozart View Post
I clearly remember other trapezoid designs so it is not unique at all. And if you had a proper understanding modelling and the interactions with a room then you would discover that putting the port in the bottom as with the metronome has some some very large benefits.

Yes that is what I am saying the design is not new and not mine own design adn I will not take credit for the shape of the boxes. Now whats in the box and how its braced and how the air is directed out is new and my own design. Now putting the port at the bottom hummmm? I would have to think how well it would work on a carpeted floor,tile floor,wood floor, and a cement floors? I put the port in the back for me to be able to give more bass out of this design and out of the room by pushing it towards the wall or pulling it out to have less bass. I also did it due to little kids hands and kids dropping or putting things in places they should not be. I have dealt with this alot of times. Also I love the way your speaker looks but, again I am doing my own thing. If you lived near by I would enjoy sitting and talking and compairing notes and see what you thoughts were on this speaker I built? Thanks for you help. Jdm
Old 17th September 2012, 02:49 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
the problem with the 127's was that they sounded nice. It was only after quite some time of listening that a bit of fatigue settled in. And then I suspected the amp. After awhile you start to realize that each time you sit down to listen to the stock drivers, that listening fatigue is inevitable and sooner or later you find it's the first thing on your mind when you fire them up. Then you can't ignore it - you hear it as soon as the darn things are powered up. So listening to these drivers in the store doesn't tell you if you can live with them or not. There may be people for whom these drivers do not fatigue but it seems there's only one way to find out if it affects you or not. Since there are other drivers to choose from out there, why bother with the 125 when the FR plot looks rather like the 127. Not worth the time and effort to me. YMMV.

I agree with you but, on the other hand I have had multi ways for years and I have had big buck speakers. So from going from a multi way to a single driver is really night and day. I found this out with the fe206e driver 10 years ago. It had a bite and very over bright in a certain freq. range but, on the other hand they sound like a dream for alot of music.They were fast and very natural sounding and sounded like the person was in the room. So Again I can live with the peakness or brightness of the fostex drivers. Next up will be the Fx120 drivers. Also have you tryed the Fe108ez drivers a real step up from the Fe series I have done side by side. They are a really good deal. I got them for very cheap or I would not have bought them and sold them due to lack of funds for other projects .Jdm
Old 17th September 2012, 03:02 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

I believe Madisound (I presume that's where you got the quote from) are incorrect. The old E series units used a banana pulp based paper cone. As I understand it, though I could be incorrect in this, the cone in the En units is based on an Abaca pulp, which is related to, but not the same as, the banana plant. The data sheets also note a new diaphragm material.
Old 17th September 2012, 03:27 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

I really don't know? I was told that the yellow cone is the banana fiber plup cone. What the ES stands for I don't have a clue? I am waiting for a answer back from fostex? Jdm
Old 17th September 2012, 04:21 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

AFAIK, it used to be banana, but not in the current range.

Pass. Not a great deal in practice one would suspect. If you're waiting on Fostex, I suspect you might be waiting until the four horsemen start riding, since they don't often pay much attention to questions from DIYers.
Old 17th September 2012, 04:26 PM   #99
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
... I bet it left the factory at under $7 US.....
That is probably pretty close. Right off the top one needs to add $2-4 to ship to North America (in quantity 1000, more if less)

dave
Old 17th September 2012, 04:33 PM   #100
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm91 View Post
Fostex FE126En 4" Full Range
ES Banana Pulp Cone. Banana fiber pulp provides a fine, supple and dense cone material which improves mid-high frequency response.
Treated cloth surround. (new version, thus the new "n" in the name)
The low Qts makes this driver useful in back loaked horn enclosure.

I really don't think their is anything new with the new versions but, again who am I?
This is the cut & paste from the data sheet i have:

Quote:
ES cone and center cap are adapted. This new diaphragm material has the fine, supple and high density fiber, and its characteristics successfully improve the mid-high frequency reproduction.
No mention of banana pulp. The new En are definitely different. THis was rammed home when i went to make a set of robin's egg blue FE126En. The lovely pale blue went on and the cone turned BRIGHT green.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!