Effects of changing BL of drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, this is my first posting. I've read some papers published by the AES suggesting that, by increasing the BL of a given size (by changing its ceramic magnets to neodymium of the same physical size), produces a significant efficiency in the mid to high frequency output of the driver. Has anyone experimented to test the viability of this? I plan to do just this on an old woofer that need rebuilding. Any help, suggestions and research materials will be very much appreciated. Thanks

It is an accepted fact that drivers with strong motors will often have an apparent rise in midrange and high frequency sensitivity, but I think it's actually the other way around, where the strong motor acts as an electro-magnetic brake for low frequencies, when the cone has more travel.

IG

I have two drivers, ostensibly the same, one of which has a neo plug that increases the Bl by about 20%. Mids and highs may be about 1 dB louder. But the neo version has a Vas almost 3/4s the size of the other, and a 12% higher Fc (slightly lower Qts, as well). My thought is, the biggest difference will be in the cabinet size needed.

Hi everyone, this is my first posting. I've read some papers published by
the AES suggesting that, by increasing the BL of a given size (by changing
its ceramic magnets to neodymium of the same physical size), produces
a significant efficiency in the mid to high frequency output of the driver.
Has anyone experimented to test the viability of this? I plan to do just
this on an old woofer that need rebuilding. Any help, suggestions and
research materials will be very much appreciated. Thanks

Hi, Viability versus the bog obvious, take the latter any time, /sreten.

Attempts to improve drivers by motor changes usually fail miserably.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.