Speakers full-range with a high resistance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Self-designed full-range speaker with a high resistance. Especially for transformerless tube amplifiers. Rated impedance 1000 ohms. However, he has a very weak dependence on the frequency of resistance at medium and high frequencies. Provisional title 10GDSH-1-1000.
Diameter of 8 inches

Attachments

• 4501742.jpg
    4501742.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,544
  • 10ГДШ-1-1000 â„–9, â„–10 зад.jpg
    10ГДШ-1-1000 №9, №10 зад.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • 10ГДШ-1-1000 â„–9, â„–10 перед.jpg
    10ГДШ-1-1000 №9, №10 перед.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,484
Last edited:
Very impressive. Congratulations to Your fine work.
I have a Philips amplifier for 800 ohm speakers and have puzzled with the idea of rolling voicecoils for existing low-impedance units.
You are rolling voicecoils Yourself?
I am interested in hearing Your experiences with this work. And the challenges.

Voice coils are made to order, using special equipment, according to my drawings.
If You notice, these speakers have very low inductance. It is much lower than that of their counterparts of low resistance.
Do You have a Philips 800 ohm speakers?
You could not measure their Z, Phillips 800 ohms at a frequency up to 200 kHz?
It is very necessary for comparison.
Here's what's interesting. Sound from low-inductance full-range speakers to a "normal" 8 ohms is very different from the sound of the same full-range speaker, but with a "normal" inductance.
Inductance frequency dependent.
Therefore it was necessary to introduce the term "doubling the minimum impedance " F2z.
Typically F2z=7-15 kHz for full-range speakers.
The same was observed with high-resistance full-range speakers.
It would be ideal if F2z exceeded the sound range.
As is the case in high-frequency speakers. Better if twice F2z = 31-40 kHz.

Last edited:
Hi,

FWIW AFAIK you could never sell commercially any speakers
of ~ 1Kohm and any amplifier that is capable of driving them.

The standards just don't exist for high voltage speaker drive,
and though no expert, I'm sure you'll fall foul of the allowed
standards for whatever speaker connection method you use.

rgds, sreten.

Phillips was the standard of 800 ohms?
So why not be the 2000 ohms?
Such systems are already working in Ukraine, more than a year.
The first of these resistance of 1 000 ohm. Two-way.
Two months operates two full-range speakers impedance 2000 ohms.
I am an engineer. Itself can develop the standard. In the extreme case)))
Especially if there's a good theory, and not just one hammer for its implementation. )))

Last edited:
Hi,

You can't develop the "standard". It will always
be illegal in terms of consumer products to sell
an amplifier that can drive your speaker units,
with any form of current speaker connection.

Stupid but true AFAIK.

rgds, sreten.

I don't know what the actual voltage limits are.

Last edited:
Svjatoslav, I am also engeneer and work a lot with foreign standards.
I think you did not catch what Sreten wrote. He mean that thera are some certain legal limitations for all aconsumer products, and whatever own technical standard you would develop - it will be not allowed to be out of regulatory limits. In wesetrn world its very clear and much more respected by even consumers/users not only by designers than in CIS.

I'd guess that some of the larger Neutrik speakOn connectors would probably hack it.

Here we go - dielectric strength of 4kV, rated voltage 250v (guessing RMS, so ~320v peak, 640v p/p).

Into that speaker, the 250v rating is good for ~63w, which would probably burn the coil, so I don't think there'll be much problem with the connector giving up first.

Chris

Hi,

You can't develop the "standard". It will always
be illegal in terms of consumer products to sell
an amplifier that can drive your speaker units,
with any form of current speaker connection.

Stupid but true AFAIK.

rgds, sreten.

I don't know what the actual voltage limits are.

For safety reasons, and to avoid someone getting the Darwin award, I think it is quite acceptable of this amp/speaker pair to require proprietary connections.

Typical professional amplifier 800 W / 8 ohm output is more than 113 volts.
Closed Speakon connectors and appropriate professional cable will solve the issue of electrical safety.
Two free contact pairs Speakon four maybe used for the relay. In the amplifier circuit relay commutes anode supply.
Which switch anode amplifier supply in the case of connect to the off speaker.

I do own a pair of Philips 3800 AM and 3700 AM both pairs rated 800 Ohm impedance.
Am sorry, but I don't have equipment to make a measurement as proposed.

As for the standard, I have been told that approval for sale of the Philips amplifiers was difficult due to high voltages in speaker-cords. If a cat bit the cord, it could easily pay the ultimate price.
For 2000 Ohms, voltages will be even higher to drive the speakers, so maybe there is a commercial restance-range, that is applicable?
Am hoping to hear more about this great initiative, allthough the Qts is pretty high and is maybe best with a sealed box enclosure?
Thank You for answering. Much appreciated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.