Buschhorn copys? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2012, 03:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Buschhorn copys?

Hello all I was thinking of building a pair of buschhorn #2 for my friend who wants a corner load speaker? I saw the buschhorns and the buschhorns #2 and I thought I saw another speaker looking like the buschhorns? I also saw on a web site at one time not the zhorns but, it had the buschhorns # 2 and another pair of horns like it with both plans on it? Is there anyway somone could get me a copy of both plans? Thanks jm

Last edited by cross reference; 27th August 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 27th August 2012, 08:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is there a specific requirement for the Buschorn? I ask because there are several boxes of similar size which considerably outperform it.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Okey that sounds good. What box woud you put a fe126en driver in to get the most out of? Thanks jm
Old 27th August 2012, 01:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good grief, the only answer to that is 'how long is a piece of string.' It's entirely dependent upon requirements and to an extent personal taste.

If you want a compact corner back-horn, FH3 will beat out the Buschorn in pretty much every area. The original FH was intended to improve on the Buschorn; the general consensus is that it did. And FH3 is a significant step forward from the original FH. It's the smallest box I would be willing to go with this driver if you want any LF output. There are other corner-loaded back-horn designs which will extract still more from the 126, but it depends how big you can go, since they are significantly larger.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 27th August 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 27th August 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Okey sounds good. I was able to get the plans for the FH3. So next step is to go buy the wood and start building it. Thanks jm
Old 27th August 2012, 05:32 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Okey sounds good. I was able to get the plans for the FH3. So next step is to go buy the wood and start building it. Thanks jm

I've assembled more than a few pairs of these, as well as fabricated 40pairs of flat-pak kits, so if I might offer some suggestions;

- read the full documentation set, and search for the thread with posted photos of mock assembly, paying particular attention to location of panel damping pads and fill stuffing
- splurge on high quality plywood ( "baltic birch" or equivalent); 18mm (3/4" )for the front baffles and 15mm (5/8") for the rest is fine
- radius or chamfer the rear side of driver cut-out before assembly (rebate for flush mount if you're up to it )
- due to the narrow width, these can be tippy, particularly on carpeted floors - outriggers of some sort are highly recommended
Old 27th August 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
18mm (3/4" )for the front baffles and 15mm (5/8") for the rest is fine
With the FE126, 15mm baffles are fine.

Frugel-Horn Mk3 Flat-Pak Mock Assembly Instructions

dave
Old 27th August 2012, 09:20 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
With the FE126, 15mm baffles are fine.

dave

'struth - we use 18mm for the kits to allow for rebating / flush mounting of drivers with much thicker flanges than the Fostex (i.e. Mark Audio Alpair 7, CHP70, CSS EL70)

just please don't use MDF
Old 28th August 2012, 02:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello all I was thinking of building a pair of buschhorn #2 for my friend who wants a corner load speaker? I saw the buschhorns and the buschhorns #2 and I thought I saw another speaker looking like the buschhorns? I also saw on a web site at one time not the zhorns but, it had the buschhorns # 2 and another pair of horns like it with both plans on it? Is there anyway somone could get me a copy of both plans? Thanks jm
Click the image to open in full size.

These plans are availible if interested, they do just right with a fe166en or with some up-scaleing, fe206en! Klaushorn.com

Hide this!Advertise here!