uFonken wool felt placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
attachment.php

Attachments

• uFonken-damp.gif
    uFonken-damp.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 541
Ed,

1/2" to 3/4" wool is hard to find...what did you use?

I had some luck with cork (me thinks); for one, it is easy to cut/apply. Secondly, really happy the way it sounds (last pair FR, I made here).

Well, I picked up some Dacron today from a local upohlstery shop, but reading some of the threads in this forum it seems it is not the right material to use. I have some rockwool I could use, I also have a product called No-Rez that I have used on previous multi-way projects. At this point I may go ahead and use the No-Rez unless someone has a better idea.

I appreciate your input. If the cork is a viable way to go I could try it, if the intent is to minize internal waves from bouncing back through the cone I am not sure if cork is the material for that but I am open to opinions. What type of cork did you use and how thick was it? Once I glue the baffle and top on there will be no going back.

Best,
Ed

Last edited:
Try looking for a furniture restorer locally, when I was looking for it on line it was $15 for a 40"x40" plus the same charge for shipping.
I chanced upon a local furniture restorer and they sold me the required quantity for about 1/3rd the price.
And as I was out cycle training, I got free delivery 'awww man,I cant carry that all in one go'

Well, I picked up some Dacron today from a local upohlstery shop, but reading some of the threads in this forum it seems it is not the right material to use. I have some rockwool I could use, I also have a product called No-Rez that I have used on previous multi-way projects. At this point I may go ahead and use the No-Rez unless someone has a better idea.

I appreciate your input. If the cork is a viable way to go I could try it, if the intent is to minize internal waves from bouncing back through the cone I am not sure if cork is the material for that but I am open to opinions. Once I glue the baffle and top on there will be no going back.

Best,
Ed

I'd suggest you try to locate something along the line of a natural fiber based upholstery backing material ( jute, cotton, etc) - our current favorite is 1/2" Ultra-touch recycled denim insulation with a bonded fabric backing.

I've not used the No-Rez product, but we generally try to avoid adding mass in attempts to control panel vibrations. Rather we follow the light/stiff / well braced school, and these specific enclosures are small enough that thicker glass or "rock" fiber insulation could easily occlude the internal vent openings if you attempted to follow Dave's posted diagram.

Thanks for the info guys. CSS sells the denim stuff but they are out of stock. I have cut Rockwool with a table saw in the past (really nasty job), I think I may try to cut down enough for this build.

I received the drivers today, much smaller than I they appear in the pics.

Best,
Ed

Thanks for the info guys. CSS sells the denim stuff but they are out of stock. I have cut Rockwool with a table saw in the past (really nasty job), I think I may try to cut down enough for this build.

I received the drivers today, much smaller than I they appear in the pics.

Best,
Ed

if you're talking about the FF85WK, I was just joking about them at a listening session yesterday, after the chaos of 4 days prep and DIY event at Dave's place - these drivers are rather like a TARDIS - much smaller on the outside - particularly when HP and bi-amped

and while we're at it, it's kinda hard to think of the little Peerless 4" (830870?) as "woofers" - but don't sniff at them 'til ya try a pair in push/push bipole

re Rockwool - the last time I used it, I had pretty good success slicing down the thickness as well as to size by compressing with a block of MDF (see - still good for some things) and using a serrated bread knife

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've been lining all my Fonken cabinets with Damping10 from Intertechnik (google with the two keywords)
It's a recycled felt mat backed with self-adhesive on one side.
Exists in 10mm and 30mm thickness.
Quite handy to work with.

In Europe it is commercialized by Intertechnik (Germany).
I don't know if a similar product is available/imported in the US, the shops like Madisound don't carry any of these.

Kind regards,

Yves

I've been lining all my Fonken cabinets with Damping10 from Intertechnik (google with the two keywords)
It's a recycled felt mat backed with self-adhesive on one side.
Exists in 10mm and 30mm thickness.
Quite handy to work with.

In Europe it is commercialized by Intertechnik (Germany).
I don't know if a similar product is available/imported in the US, the shops like Madisound don't carry any of these.

Kind regards,

Yves

looks like a great product - certainly the kind of thing I'd wanna try over fiberglass, rockwool or cork for this type of enclosure (i.e. teeny "ken-esque")

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.