uFonken wool felt placement - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2012, 09:22 PM   #1
ebag4 is offline ebag4  United States
diyAudio Member

Default uFonken wool felt placement

Does the back panel get wool felt in this box? If so, how far down do I take it? I want to make certain I do not impeded the airflow through the box.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 26th August 2012, 10:14 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: gif uFonken-damp.gif (24.4 KB, 343 views)
Old 27th August 2012, 12:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That is some great information. Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Best,
Ed
Old 27th August 2012, 04:23 PM   #4
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Ed,

1/2" to 3/4" wool is hard to find...what did you use?

I had some luck with cork (me thinks); for one, it is easy to cut/apply. Secondly, really happy the way it sounds (last pair FR, I made here).
Old 27th August 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
Ed,

1/2" to 3/4" wool is hard to find...what did you use?

I had some luck with cork (me thinks); for one, it is easy to cut/apply. Secondly, really happy the way it sounds (last pair FR, I made here).
Well, I picked up some Dacron today from a local upohlstery shop, but reading some of the threads in this forum it seems it is not the right material to use. I have some rockwool I could use, I also have a product called No-Rez that I have used on previous multi-way projects. At this point I may go ahead and use the No-Rez unless someone has a better idea.

I appreciate your input. If the cork is a viable way to go I could try it, if the intent is to minize internal waves from bouncing back through the cone I am not sure if cork is the material for that but I am open to opinions. What type of cork did you use and how thick was it? Once I glue the baffle and top on there will be no going back.

Best,
Ed

Last edited by ebag4; 27th August 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 27th August 2012, 05:56 PM   #6
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Try looking for a furniture restorer locally, when I was looking for it on line it was $15 for a 40"x40" plus the same charge for shipping.
I chanced upon a local furniture restorer and they sold me the required quantity for about 1/3rd the price.
And as I was out cycle training, I got free delivery 'awww man,I cant carry that all in one go'
Old 27th August 2012, 05:58 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebag4 View Post
Well, I picked up some Dacron today from a local upohlstery shop, but reading some of the threads in this forum it seems it is not the right material to use. I have some rockwool I could use, I also have a product called No-Rez that I have used on previous multi-way projects. At this point I may go ahead and use the No-Rez unless someone has a better idea.

I appreciate your input. If the cork is a viable way to go I could try it, if the intent is to minize internal waves from bouncing back through the cone I am not sure if cork is the material for that but I am open to opinions. Once I glue the baffle and top on there will be no going back.

Best,
Ed
I'd suggest you try to locate something along the line of a natural fiber based upholstery backing material ( jute, cotton, etc) - our current favorite is 1/2" Ultra-touch recycled denim insulation with a bonded fabric backing.

I've not used the No-Rez product, but we generally try to avoid adding mass in attempts to control panel vibrations. Rather we follow the light/stiff / well braced school, and these specific enclosures are small enough that thicker glass or "rock" fiber insulation could easily occlude the internal vent openings if you attempted to follow Dave's posted diagram.
Old 27th August 2012, 06:23 PM   #8
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Cork?....Yes thanks for helping here; I would never muddle with a proven recipe....my boxes are angled MDF 3/4" - 1" "wood", so mine is a renegade build(s).

(I cranked a bunch of them out (prototypes), so there was a learning curve)
Old 27th August 2012, 07:28 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have lots of no-rez, never found a use for it, and haven't been able to give it away,

A cotton or wool felt is best. The carpet underlay on some older Fords & GMs has been shown to work fine, so an auto upolstry shop may be the ticket.

dave
Old 27th August 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
Cork?
No substitute in this situation.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!