What is the smallest possible enclosure for HiVi B3N?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HiVi recommends a 2 liter enclosure: Product information:B3N Full-Frequency

How can I get it smaller? I'm not sure aperiodic venting is an option since I plan on mounting them on the wall.

step 1: take the woofer and place it face down on a coffee table
step 2: place something heavy on it, like a cinder block
step 3: play music
step 4: if it doesn't sound completely atroicous, then the answer to your question about "0.06 liters". (That's the volume of air underneath the cone of the woofer and above the coffee table.)

The B3 is indeed a very high Qts driver.

Two litres gives a significant bump well above 100 Hz which is too high to even sound like bass.
Zaph put them in (I think) 3 litre sealed boxes and they work quite well. I have made 3litre boxes for a number of friends and they are quite serviceable, if inevitably quite light-on for bass.

I also have put them in about 1/2 litre boxes, which is about the smallest cube they will fit into, and used them as satellites. Provided you think about it, it is possible to cross them over in such a way that the filter starts to roll off as their output is climbing up to the bump. This can cancel out and give a 3dB frequency as low as about 90Hz with very good LF power handling. My HT system uses these and they are truly excellent in this role. They sound pretty mumbly and lo-fi without the HPF though.

And, yes, they work OK on an OB but the linear travel limit comes up real quick and the 3rd harmonic distortion is the stuff of nightmares. Again, a HPF is really mandatory.

Rgds,
blakkmax

Found this Photo a while back in this forum.
Seems more than appropriate imo :)

Attachments

• diy helmet speakers.jpg
    diy helmet speakers.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 464
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.