Smaller Fostex Backloaded Horns - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2012, 07:52 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
I would go for a new horn by a very experienced designer
Horn Theory
" A Method for Designing a Compact Back Loaded Horn Loudspeaker System (added 06/21/12)" It is less than half the size of Jericho and gets as deep as it, when corner loaded that is.
Looks to be a well thought out design for optimizing that new-ish FF125wk in a purist single driver approach. If I was not so burned out and had the time, this is a project I'd like to pursue. Over the years I lost my way with, subs and supertweeters only to find that I missed that single driver sound that got me hooked in the first place.

The 208 is one of my favs, and is powerful but a bit overkill for your room size. If you want to stick with the Sigma line the 108 would be a better choice. Why don't you drop Martin an email and inquire if this particular driver might work in his enclosure.

Whatever you choose, keep us posted on your project.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:12 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post
I'm definitely open to smaller drivers—different brands even. I'm not set on the Fostex 208 or any other driver really (especially the sigma, which as you pointed out is rather expensive). The cabinet I linked to was just a good example of what I've been considering.

The Frugal Horn looks pretty interesting. Very simple and good looking too! I'll definitely add it to my list.
You could also go with the Madisound BK-12m or the smaller Sperrin if you really need a smaller box.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Persona is offline Persona  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the great advice so far guys. The BK-12 looks to be a more reasonable size. If this youtube video is any indication, it still has pretty good bass response despite the smaller driver and horn.

In the PDF for the FE126En there is also a very interesting hybrid back loaded horn + bass reflex enclosure. Personally I'm skeptical of this design as it would appear that it function primarily as a bass reflex enclosure, with little, if any, of the acoustic energy being transmitted through the horn. Anyone every try building one?
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:44 PM   #14
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

^ one of P10, Dave or Chris did and wrote that it was terrible.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In the PDF for the FE126En there is also a very interesting hybrid back loaded horn + bass reflex enclosure. Personally I'm skeptical of this design as it would appear that it function primarily as a bass reflex enclosure, with little, if any, of the acoustic energy being transmitted through the horn. Anyone every try building one?
I remember reading some years back on this forum about someone building this and also the simple BR one on the page. If I remember he said that there was very little difference it terms of bass from the two designs and in fact he liked the BR sound overall.
Old 25th August 2012, 07:27 AM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
^ one of P10, Dave or Chris did and wrote that it was terrible.

yup, I built them and we both gave them a good try - not a great performer at all

for the FE126EN, the FH3, BK12 , Buschhorn MkII and Woden Valiant , all of which I've built, would definitely be worth looking at

Last edited by chrisb; 25th August 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 25th August 2012, 07:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I remember that I've encountered the horn/BR project on an Italian
Forum , and the DIYer posted also the video
( I don't know why , they seemed sounding good )
and he wasn't apparently dissatisfied
but guess what ...
Probably a very solid construction would help
Old 26th August 2012, 02:17 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
yup, I built them and we both gave them a good try - not a great performer at all

for the FE126EN, the FH3, BK12 , Buschhorn MkII and Woden Valiant , all of which I've built, would definitely be worth looking at
The Kongo which was mentioned above could be looked at as sort of a front mouthed Valiant should probably be on the short list also. Its new enough that few have heard it but as more people build them I wont be surprised if it becomes very popular.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:43 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I hope Kongo is of use to someone, but to correct the above, it can't be looked at 'as sort of a front-mouthed Valiant.' The load configurations of the two designs, their expansion profiles, internal layouts, tuning frequencies, upper corner frequencies, acoustic low-pass orders (and means of achieving these), have nothing in common.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 26th August 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Since you have a small listening room, perhaps put your horn plans aside and investigate the relatively recent FF-xx5WK series in simple compact bass reflex enclosures.
I was able to listen to them and to several of the FExx6En series while in Japan a while ago and I thought that the FF-xx5WK series was noticeably richer sounding. In comparison the FExx6En series offered big dynamics but little else.
Better than any of these was a pair of limited edition 166ESR speakers in their factory enclosure horn, but these are big again and not easy to find anymore (I think that Fostex shouldn't limit these ESR series, they are obviously better than their normal series including the E-sigmas).
Coming back to the topic at hand, the FF225WK is nicely smooth with decent full bass and a pleasant unfatigueing sound (better than you'd think when looking at the frequencyplot), but you should add a supertweeter to it. Worth investigating instead of a horn, in your situation.

Quote:
I am intrigued by the full range driver concept and I'm looking to build a pair of cabinets for myself. In my research I have found the Fostex line of drivers to be very well regarded and I have looked at a numerous designs for a few of these drivers.

Of these, the Dallas II and Jericho horns really caught my eye, however I am put off by the very large size of these cabinets. My room is about 16x16 feet and because I move frequently I'd rather not have to lug such heavy cabinets up and down stairs!

Therefore, I'm looking for similar cabinets that are smaller and/or designed to make use of smaller drivers. So far the only one I've come across is the Fostex FE208Sigma in Folded Horn Enclosure, but the plans are no longer available and I can't find any information on its performance. Other designs I've seen are either not true horns or are rather ugly. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Hide this!Advertise here!