Suitable Driver advice for use in a small volume box ?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 11:03 PM   #11
orrino is offline orrino  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Maybe Alpair 7 (4") or Alpair 6 Metal (3") - you can find quite a few plans here:

Frugal-phile | Box Library / Mark Audio
Zia, Thank you for that, I am drawn to the larger Alpair 10 driver as I am assuming it will move more air and therefore be capable of producing more bass.
I might be wrong in this assumption, not sure!

Ray
Old 18th August 2012, 12:02 AM   #12
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Ray,

You are correct on the A 10.2 being able to produce more bass. IIRC the drivers require larger cabs than what you had mentioned in your first post.

- Zia
Old 18th August 2012, 12:08 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrino View Post
Zia, Thank you for that, I am drawn to the larger Alpair 10 driver as I am assuming it will move more air and therefore be capable of producing more bass.
I might be wrong in this assumption, not sure!
As a generalization maybe, but given the small box size requirement you are going to throttle the A10s in the bass.

dave
Old 18th August 2012, 12:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Not if he utilizes an aperiodic vent.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:29 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Aperiodic vent just lowers the Q.

What i was getting at is that it is a complex system and that saying that given 1 dimension, driver size in this case, will result in more bass is not the case.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif alpair10g2-sealed.gif (19.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: gif A10g2-6L-sealed.gif (31.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 18th August 2012, 12:46 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes, larger drivers are not always the best way to get more base, but I believe in the case of going full range, they will prevent the Doppler effect for high frequencies (garbling) while still being capable of producing base. Where as a smaller driver has to work harder and use more excursion causing more ID.
Also the larger diver is more sensitive for his t-amp. He can get a butterworth 2nd order alignment with 7 lt. If he goes aperiodic, And have a -3 at 40 hz in his small cabin.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:46 AM   #17
orrino is offline orrino  Ireland
diyAudio Member

While I am not on top of Thiele Small Parameters and don't pretend to understand them I realize that a larger diaphragm will have the capacity to move more air and will have the potential to produce more bass with less driver excursion.
Conversely a smaller driver with a much greater driver excursion COULD potentially provide more more base if the excursion is great enough.
That's my simplified grasp and I think it's somewhere around correct without to much in the way of mathematics and equations which have the capacity to confuse me terribly.
Old 18th August 2012, 01:26 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
He can get a butterworth 2nd order alignment with 7 lt. If he goes aperiodic, And have a -3 at 40 hz in his small cabin.
My sim says 9.2 litre. F3 to 40 hz is making some assumptions about room gain.

But no matter, F3 is mostly meaningless except for the filter theory (Toole), but with an F10 of ~70, and the assumption that aperiodic will bring the Q down to butterworth (enuff damping would as well), 40ish flat is a reasonable guess.

dave
Old 18th August 2012, 10:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I use the ct218 build on my ta2020 whit great pleasure. Small, cheap...,quick to build, papercone here is the link Strassacker: Lautsprecher - Boxen - Selbstbau.

Hide this!Advertise here!