diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   And so it begins. Fostex FE166En + BiB (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/218051-so-begins-fostex-fe166en-bib.html)

N4BBQ 16th August 2012 11:26 PM

And so it begins. Fostex FE166En + BiB

1 Attachment(s)
These arrived today.

My BiB plan is to build a hybrid BiB with the front, back, baffle, and bottom of MDF and the sides with pressed oak plywood.

I'll try to keep a photo log going here.

zman01 17th August 2012 02:35 AM

N4BBQ,

Why MDF? BiB is a big cabinet and the extra stifness plywood will give will come in handy. Also MDF is heavier, and these boxes can be pretty heavy (I built a BiB with FE166EN last year).

N4BBQ 17th August 2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman01 (Post 3129438)
N4BBQ,

Why MDF? BiB is a big cabinet and the extra stifness plywood will give will come in handy. Also MDF is heavier, and these boxes can be pretty heavy (I built a BiB with FE166EN last year).

You're spot on about it being heavy. I donno. I guess the price got me. Our local Home Depot had some nice 3/4 on sale at $19/4x8 sheet so I bought two sheets of that, but I want a nice wood side, so I decided to use the Oak plywood for the sides. I plan to finish the front black and that should make for a nice looking speaker.

I won't have to worry about anyone rushing in and stealing them (unless they are a weight-lifter).

Are you enjoying your build? What amp are you using with them?

zman01 17th August 2012 01:07 PM

N4BBQ,

I had built the BiBs for a friend. The speakers were at my place for some time, and I was using a Miniwatt N3 and another El34 single ended amp with it. Both were a good match with the Fostex drivers.

The BiBs were very enjoyable to listen to - my first brush with full-range speakers in fact. Since I liked them went on to quite a few other builds.

What amp do you have/plan to use?

N4BBQ 17th August 2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman01 (Post 3129910)
The BiBs were very enjoyable to listen to - my first brush with full-range speakers in fact. Since I liked them went on to quite a few other builds.

Very good. I'm sure the same will happen to me (on to other builds).

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman01
What amp do you have/plan to use?

I just finished a single-ended 6N3C (6L6) amp.

The speakers I have now are old Infinity RS-6000s (but the woofers had been removed and replaced with some JBLs of some sort), so I'm looking forward to the Fostex build to see what sort of a difference there will be.

Godzilla 17th August 2012 01:54 PM

Keep us posted on your BIBs!

N4BBQ 17th August 2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla (Post 3129966)
Keep us posted on your BIBs!

I will. I've been reading and thumbing through build pictures.

What is the opinion of using dampening material anywhere in the cabinet?

planet10 17th August 2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N4BBQ (Post 3129777)
Depot had some nice 3/4 on sale at $19/4x8 sheet so I bought two sheets of that

12mm quality plywood would give a better result (and i wouldn't use less then 18mm (~same as 1 1/4" MDF) in a build this big (unless very well braced)

dave

N4BBQ 17th August 2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 3130231)
12mm quality plywood would give a better result (and i wouldn't use less then 18mm (~same as 1 1/4" MDF) in a build this big (unless very well braced)

dave

Thanks for the tip.

BUT, I've already cut all the stuff...but looking at the bright side of that, there's always the next BiB made with all plywood and possibly a different speaker.

N4BBQ 24th August 2012 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few parts that are cut & dry waiting on a few other parts to dry.

Question : How has others routed their speaker cable inside the cabinet?