And so it begins. Fostex FE166En + BiB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These arrived today.

My BiB plan is to build a hybrid BiB with the front, back, baffle, and bottom of MDF and the sides with pressed oak plywood.

I'll try to keep a photo log going here.

Attachments

• DSCN0824.JPG
    DSCN0824.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,033
N4BBQ,

Why MDF? BiB is a big cabinet and the extra stifness plywood will give will come in handy. Also MDF is heavier, and these boxes can be pretty heavy (I built a BiB with FE166EN last year).

You're spot on about it being heavy. I donno. I guess the price got me. Our local Home Depot had some nice 3/4 on sale at $19/4x8 sheet so I bought two sheets of that, but I want a nice wood side, so I decided to use the Oak plywood for the sides. I plan to finish the front black and that should make for a nice looking speaker.

I won't have to worry about anyone rushing in and stealing them (unless they are a weight-lifter).

Are you enjoying your build? What amp are you using with them?

N4BBQ,

I had built the BiBs for a friend. The speakers were at my place for some time, and I was using a Miniwatt N3 and another El34 single ended amp with it. Both were a good match with the Fostex drivers.

The BiBs were very enjoyable to listen to - my first brush with full-range speakers in fact. Since I liked them went on to quite a few other builds.

What amp do you have/plan to use?

Last edited:
The BiBs were very enjoyable to listen to - my first brush with full-range speakers in fact. Since I liked them went on to quite a few other builds.

Very good. I'm sure the same will happen to me (on to other builds).

zman01 said:
What amp do you have/plan to use?

I just finished a single-ended 6N3C (6L6) amp.

The speakers I have now are old Infinity RS-6000s (but the woofers had been removed and replaced with some JBLs of some sort), so I'm looking forward to the Fostex build to see what sort of a difference there will be.

Some folks might prefer drilling a small hole through the slant and pass the wiring through, then seal up the hole with silicone or hot glue around the wires. I prefer running them down and connect to a terminal cup at the back of the cabinet placed anywhere around 12-18 inches from the bottom.

zman01 said:
Some folks might prefer drilling a small hole through the slant and pass the wiring through, then seal up the hole with silicone or hot glue around the wires. I prefer running them down and connect to a terminal cup at the back of the cabinet placed anywhere around 12-18 inches from the bottom.

Thanks zman01. I gyuess I'll go with the pass-thru the slant method then.

Etocynned said:
Ima watch this one!
Got a job again and making good money and im so going to build some bibs.
might start with a pair based on 2 CSS EL70s per cab. Then a pair of 12lta based BBBIB's.

Congrats on your new job and please post some photos as you go.

Consulting the long BIB thread dedicated to Terry Cain could be arduous. But along the way there are various tweaks such as the 'banner' shaped divider for the mouth which discussion took place over time and experimentation. BIB's are good for experimentation.

At one time I just attached one of my NSB 50 cent 4 inchers to the BIB, and used the amp section of boombox with it's speakers detached and hooked up to the BIB. It worked but I went on to the Fostex FE127e it was meant to hold.

If using MDF advise to not be like the guy who who built his boat in the basement. :)

Slick! :up:

Hmm, with the ceiling so far away I wonder how low they will go at low distortion.

GM

My ultimate plan is to use these until I save up a few more pennies and get a larger speaker, put them in an even bigger BiB, and build a push-pull 6L6 to drive it, and move this current config into our bedroom (where there's a much lower ceiling. The ceiling in the room they are in now is two stories!

BUT, I was using some older speakers (Infinity RS-6000) and lordy do these sound so much better. I'm amazed. Even my wife noticed! haha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.