PMC MB2S CLONE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if anybody here has built a Wilmslow Audio TL12 or TL15 kit and can share his impression of the monitor.
Hows the crossovers and the overall sound of this speaker?
Maybe somebody could even compare it to a real mb2 by PMC

I think I remember reading that PMC versions have some sort of cone treatment that makes them different from the standard Volt Radial, whether this materially affects the sound or just makes it a PMC part is unknown to me. The Volt Radial is a fantastic bass driver in its standard form, no doubt. The PMC mid dome is very, very similar compared with both the ATC and Volt versions, it will fit exactly into a recess made for the ATC (as will the Volt dome). The PMC has an easily changed dome/coil assembly but I doubt if PMC would sell such a thing.

Ive always wanted to build a TL but after two attempts that didn't sound good (they had lots of 'air' noise at higher output levels, and mid range peak and trough/cancelling/summing issues) I gave up. Having heard the PMCs before including the MB2s, MB3s and OB1, i knew they had a unique sound which i liked - it has a sense of transparency and neutrality with phenomenal range and depth. After reading this thread it inspired me to have another go. It seems from the photos and anlysis of drawings PMC break some rules in designing their TLs.
They seem to be happy with square folds and make no attempt to use angled braces to round them off.
They stuff them end to end with reticulated foam, which should heavily damp output gains from the TL mouth.
They use a linear TL - its not tapered down which is generally thought to be best practice. Although they do increase the volume behind the driver (2-3x Sd), then chop it down to about 1x Sd at the back of the cab, aftger which its linear to the mouth.
With all this in mind its got more in common with a Reflex port, than a TL!

Anyway I had a go at building it, and tested it with an AE TD12H driver, and it sounds great! So it seems breaking the rules is the way to go. (Cab still raw, not finished yet, and not added mid/tops until i was happy the low end sounded right)

view

view

view

view

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.