Tannoy CPA 12 enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently acquired a pair of tannoy CPA 12 speakers. This has pleased me as I have always admired this company’s dual concentric design drivers. When I came to play music through them I was a little disappointed at the sound produced, a little short on bass to say the least. I think this is because of the small bass reflex design and I am considering building new enclosures for them. I like the idea of either folded horn or transmission line enclosures. Does anyone have any design that would suit these drivers? Even though the drivers are two way , does the drivers dual concentric design mean that they can be used in place of full range drivers?

Hmm Odd result indeed.
Those I believe are erm... 'reduced' DMT series speakers.
Which themselves were Very Very good. Bass was astounding: deep sharp and visceral.. not just 'good'.
Those were ..externally at least.. :) just larger versions of the CPA
'boxes'. Proof that one does not need a monster box for stunning performance.
Be aware that these drivers typically NEED a 20+ amp current capable Amp to give impressive dynamics It's a Big heavy cone, the Motor needs real currents to operate that cone with deft and precision. Invariably this means a Soliod state Amp as Output TX as found in Tube types, simply cannot do this. Doesn't mean you can't use a bespoke tube amp.. just not for the Big cone :)
Read Amp specs carefully! ANY product that does not list their current capability is simply not worth reading further about.. let alone buying.
Price is Not the determinant either .. several 'cheapies' do this very well.

Go Here: TANNOY Monitor Gold dual concentric speakers
as a basic start point into researching Enclosures. there are other on line sites as well.
Horns are the Top of the pecking order (status) setups. But a Far simpler (likelier to actually get built) bass reflex enclosure will get 90% of a Horn's performance in a smaller footprint to boot:
Lotsa reading in store :)

Last edited:
Hi to all.
I also have the cpa12 driver tannoy. Model tannoy 3134.
Have the unit hf largest of DMT.
CPA 1.25 '
DMT 1''
The cone of cpa12 is in paper
That of DMT, no.
Motl drivers are sensitive
tannoy 12 3134 "dc drivers 12"
resonant frequency: 37
Q mech: 5163
elec Q: 0397
Q total: 0368
mass: 28.83
VAS: 226.7
Sensitivity: 97
The original crossover is not suitable for domestic use.
I'm working on a new crossover.
I built the cabinet, a little smaller than the arden.
Will upgrade soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.