Add a Sub to my Saburos? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2012, 04:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Add a Sub to my Saburos?

Greetings Gents,

I'm posting this here, as I've been a Full-Ranger devotee since the Saburos I built, and documented here, a couple of years ago.

The question of a Sub came up with a friend of mine, who (very satisfyingly) thought my stereo was the best he's ever heard, except for the (not so satisfyingly) lack of a really low end.

He thought a subwoofer would be a great idea. Is this a good idea? His argument was that cross-over related distortion would be placed in an area of the spectrum where it would be least noticeable to the human ear. Furthermore, he opined that relieving the Saburos of trying to cope with low frequencies would liberate them to do better at what they do best.

He makes it sound so uncomplicated, but I wonder . . .

I'd really like to hear from this esteemed group.

To fill in some blanks, I'm using a modern Dynakit ST 70 for driving the Saburos (outfitted with Planet-Dave's super duper drivers . . . darn, can't remember which. Enabled 126's, I think) in a room that's 26 x 14 feet, with the speakers firing across the width of the room.

Thanks in advance,

Brenton
Old 14th August 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have used the stealthWoofers for the FH3 with Victor, with the front firing Soobs that won't be helpful, but something like a good pair of 6 1/2 or 8" or even 10" per side could go a long way to putting a HUGE grin on your buddies face XO them Rel-style to start.

Drivers are FE126eN #121/122 Natural with Brown spots

dave
Old 14th August 2012, 06:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's right about my F-R drivers.

Well I may just look into this a bit further, since you don' t think the very idea is catastrophically bad.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Go for it. Although I'd always suggest twin subs minimum.
Old 14th August 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott,

Yes, my friend, John Sehring by name, was recommending dual subs. He's designed and built some in his time, and is a fan of using two drivers per box, facing eachother, fed out of phase. So only the magnet and basket of one of them protrudes from the box. Apparently this configuration enables the same frequency extension from a box that is much reduced in size.
Old 14th August 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Gosh, if this project works out, maybe I can really get some oomph when playing pipe organ music -- which I don't do very often.
Old 14th August 2012, 08:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wha' DIYa know? View Post
Hi Scott,

Yes, my friend, John Sehring by name, was recommending dual subs. He's designed and built some in his time, and is a fan of using two drivers per box, facing eachother, fed out of phase. So only the magnet and basket of one of them protrudes from the box. Apparently this configuration enables the same frequency extension from a box that is much reduced in size.
Called isobaric configuration.

IMHO, a bit of a waste of drivers - if you're dedicating some space for subwoofers, might as well make use of all the cone area they have to offer.

YMMV, of course.

IIRC (to use as many acronyms as possible), Sabs go to ~70Hz, and it'd be wise to give them a low-cut to stop the low bass getting to the little Fostexes.
Old 14th August 2012, 09:09 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wha' DIYa know? View Post
... a fan of using two drivers per box, facing eachother, fed out of phase. So only the magnet and basket of one of them protrudes from the box. Apparently this configuration enables the same frequency extension from a box that is much reduced in size.
Isobarik compund driver. It does reduce the box size by half, but the cost is high. Only a valid approach if the reduction of box volume trumps all other considerations.

I prefer 2 woofers loaded push-push -- the box will be 4 x as big for the same extention, but you get 2x the cone area (reducing distortion), gives the potential for 6 dB motr output, and done right dramatically reduce the load on the box.

dave
Old 14th August 2012, 09:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Good ideas! If i have the interior realestate, why go isobarik?!

I've already got the Saburos more than 2 feet out from the back wall, so obviously VGfAF (visiting girlfriend approval factor) is not an issue at my place.

;-)

Yet, any way, so nows a time to build big!
Old 14th August 2012, 10:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've just hooked up a cheap sub (Kef PSW2000) to my Vulcans which I've fitted with Fostex Fe203en-s's. I did it more for fun then anything else, expecting to prove to myself that it was a bad idea, but frankly I'm amazed at the improvement. Next step is a really good subwoofer, I'm thinking of the 12" Morel kit on Wilmslow Audio. Any suggestions?

Hide this!Advertise here!