Add a Sub to my Saburos? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2012, 09:50 PM   #31
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
The Behringer crossover will go down to 44Hz in stereo mode. Methinks that's low enough.

Some good reading on PLLXOs here..
TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

re the Behringer - while its versatility if an outboard unit is required is undeniable, I think Dave was referring to the unit's questionable sonics - having heard both a Gary Pimm tweaked to the max unit, and one that was bone stock, I can certainly understand his point
Old 16th August 2012, 09:57 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
re the Behringer - while its versatility if an outboard unit is required is undeniable, I think Dave was referring to the unit's questionable sonics - having heard both a Gary Pimm tweaked to the max unit, and one that was bone stock, I can certainly understand his point
Ah, no.
There was concern that two crossovers may be required to get the low crossover frequencies required for the subwoofers - this isn't so.

I've found the sound from my Behringer to be decent enough, but I haven't had chance to compare it to much else. Perhaps I'll try tweaking it in time - I'd be interested in a link to the tweaked version if you have it to hand.
Old 18th August 2012, 03:02 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Email sent . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'm with Chris here. Mono, simple PLLXO for the top (keep the signal to the FRs as pure as possible -- it is far to likely for something like the Beringher (typically as cheap as possible) to substract way more than it adds), and something steeper and active on the bottom.

email me, i have something here that may suit you perfectly for the 2nd half (the 1st half is dead easy).

dave
Old 18th August 2012, 03:53 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Ah, no.
There was concern that two crossovers may be required to get the low crossover frequencies required for the subwoofers - this isn't so.

I've found the sound from my Behringer to be decent enough, but I haven't had chance to compare it to much else. Perhaps I'll try tweaking it in time - I'd be interested in a link to the tweaked version if you have it to hand.
OK, my misread of your point

Gary Pimm - to paraphrase a member referencing a well known DIY speaker guru (Zaph) "this guy knows his onions"

http://www.pimmlabs.com/web/behringer.htm

I heard this highly modified Behringer as part of Gary's 3-way system (along with his own amps) a few years back

does the term "gobsmacked" ring a bell?

By comparison, I found a dead stock unit rather like the proverbial thick fuzzy curtain - I guess fine enough if you can compensate or acclimate for it, but the depth and ambience of soundstage once that curtain is opened is not subtle

Last edited by chrisb; 18th August 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 18th August 2012, 05:21 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
By comparison, I found a dead stock unit rather like the proverbial thick fuzzy curtain
I found that, to quote, "only something a microphone could live with".

At some point i need to rip all the analog out and replace with transformers.

dave
Old 19th August 2012, 07:11 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

I might save myself the trouble of modding the Behringer and just make an 4th order LR active crossover, and shelf the Behringer for when I can better understand the circuits involved.
Old 20th August 2012, 05:55 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I think that for many folks the huge appeal of the Behringer is the combination of its versatility for experimenting / "breadboarding" and saving numerous XO configurations, a and relatively low cost - no doubt there are few "solutions" one might discover with it that couldn't be replicated with other methods.
Old 21st August 2012, 01:27 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

You guys seem to have switched products in your Behringer comments.

Chris661 linked to the 2310 crossover, but Dave and Chrisb's comments are relative/specific to the DCX2496. Significantly different products doing different things.

While I have heard much complaint over the sound of the DX2496, I have heard little comment of any kind about the 2310/3400 crossovers.

So, do these get (unfairly) painted with the Behringer badge of shame or do they earn it by doing more harm than good? Haven't heard them myself. Certainly seem to be an option.
Old 21st August 2012, 02:11 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

^ Fair point.

The DCX2496 is capable of much more processing, whereas mine's a fairly simple unit.

I would guess that the input/output circuitry is similar, though.

Hide this!Advertise here!