diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/217893-bigun-audio-nirvana-super-15-a.html)

Bigun 14th August 2012 01:51 AM

A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15

1 Attachment(s)
I decided it was time to open a thread to capture my experiences with this driver and the box I'm going to make for it.

It's a big driver. Until you have one in your hands, it's hard to imagine.

More about the driver here

Edit: this design eventually became an open back box with a light level of stuffing behind the driver. It's not an open baffle because the highs are mostly radiated from the front whizzer cone and the stuffing absorbs these frequencies behind the driver. The bass however is able to radiate backwards from what is essentially a U-frame so I would expect the rear wave will not by symmetrical to the front wave, i.e. some cardioid response is likely although not measured. It sounds much better than with a closed box.

Bigun 14th August 2012 01:56 AM

A big driver deserves a big box. I requested plans for the 13.6 cu.ft. enclosure from the Common Sense Audio.

There will be no supporting woofers or tweeters, nothing other than a wire between the amplifier and the driver.

This is the real deal, a single full-range driver.

Sitting on the floor the driver has been gently breaking in and it sounds very promising.

Melon Head 14th August 2012 02:49 AM

I am excited to see your results

phivates 14th August 2012 03:27 AM

big one

Me too. I note the 1 mm xmax and go directly to my ancestry (AR, TL) and hope for the best on the bottom end...could be great! Chances are the 17mm Matsushita Philcos I enjoy so much in my basement have about that much, or little, xmax. Big boxes. Make them kiosks for art, visual that is. Bigger is better they say. And sit in the middle.

norman bates 14th August 2012 10:16 AM

baffle step ?

maybe a 10 band eq ?

Norman

Parasonic 14th August 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigun (Post 3125655)
no supporting woofers or tweeters, nothing other than a wire between the amplifier and the driver.

Sounds like heaven to me........can't wait for your impressions

cheers,
Terry

Scottmoose 14th August 2012 10:59 AM

Out of interest, what vent dimensions will you be using on the 13.6?

Melon Head 14th August 2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottmoose (Post 3125980)
Out of interest, what vent dimensions will you be using on the 13.6?

That is top secret. Haha

StevenZ 14th August 2012 11:43 AM

Subscribed!

mondogenerator 14th August 2012 12:15 PM

not normally my thing, but hatchback size boxes always get attention! Vent dims? Couldnt you reverse eng to guesstimate, scott? Im not sure there are any secrets any longer!