A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15 - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 02:24 AM   #301
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Separation - I only have one channel, this is a mono set up. The objective is to provide a source of sound that will liven up the whole ground floor of my house. I have found stereo to be a liability for this goal - you are never in the right place and more often than I'd like I find the stereo mix to be poor or artificial and to vary between recordings. I have found a single-speaker kitchen radio to be an almost ideal solution, but it lacks scale. The Big'un speaker fixes that !

Detail is very good - but I know my current amp is a little 'fat' and rolled off so until I try some different amps I am still not sure how much I'm hearing my amp and how much the speaker.

Dynamics - effortless is how I would describe the AN15.

Comparison with the MARTELLO version 1, those are small desktop speakers for near-field use and the AN15 is not good for near-field but is superior in all other respects. The MARTELLO-2 speakers are still under-construction.

AND.... it's time to start putting a mono-block together for this speaker. I'll start a thread over in the tubes forum if anybody is interested ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 2nd October 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:33 AM   #302
nuconz is offline nuconz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Separation - I only have one channel, this is a mono set up. The objective is to provide a source of sound that will liven up the whole ground floor of my house. I have found stereo to be a liability for this goal - you are never in the right place and more often than I'd like I find the stereo mix to be poor or artificial and to vary between recordings.
interesting. i have a stereo setup after dropping the surround a few years back. thought i was the only "dinosaur". but you are even more of one. no offense intended.

sometimes architecture helps with the imaging in stereo.
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:59 PM   #303
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Bigun,
I've been contemplating the same thing for quite a while - An older tuner with a mono button, single channel of amplification and a single speaker.
One idea I've had is to make the enclosure triangular and mount it on the wall against the ceiling - get it right out of the way.
Small wattage battery fed amp with a solar panel to charge it - minimal running costs.
A single channel of valve power sound fun though, if you start a thread, count on me being a regular reader.
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:44 PM   #304
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
a mono system has always intrigued me. We hear in stereo (2 ears) , but the sounds we hear are, in most cases, from a single point (sometimes large, sometimes small) and so sounds are (predominantly) mono. Then our ears & brain does the rest.

twin speakers to create the illusion of stereo only sound good in a few spots as you say Bigun. Mono sounds the same everywhere.

There was a great right up somewhere about a guy who bought 1 Klipsch La Scala and listened in mono off the back of a mono modified Shanling MC-30 I think. The gist was the sound was just as big, detailed and spacious, but your ears weren't trying to unjumble fake stereo where it doesn't exist (esp. as it is represented differently on every recording)

Not the one above, but none the less a good read Mono, Stereo, Digital

Last edited by JRKO; 2nd October 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 04:53 PM   #305
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
A single channel of valve power sound fun though, if you start a thread, count on me being a regular reader.
I hope to do some playing around with this speaker again between now and the end of the year and I will report back here on what happens.

In the meantime, I am going to start a thread on the tubes forum for a nice little valve amplifier
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 17th October 2012, 05:56 PM   #306
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I do have a single full / wide range drive unit, I just have to get it out of the box it's residing in and take pics for people to help me identify.
Old 20th October 2012, 03:15 PM   #307
diyAudio Member

some more listening impressions. Still have the back-off for now.

have been swapping back and forth between the Big'un and the MARTELLO-2 which use EL-70s in an ML-TL.

The AN15 has a fuller sound, the mid-range is richer, more presence. Or maybe I could say that the Martello-2 has in comparison a slightly recessed mid-range. In the mids, I like the AN15 better.

The bass of the Martello-2 falls off at low volume. At higher volume it's good, maybe a little too full but I think the amp is a factor here, having low damping (SET amp) the FR may not be flat. The AN15 has more bass, and it starts at lower volumes but the amp simply runs out of steam if you try to crank it.

The treble of the Martello-2 may win out over the AN15 in this comparison, being smoother to my ears. The AN15 is not fatiguing, but the treble is not as clean, the frequency response is not flat enough to be perfect.

I need to install the back on the AN15 before I can finish up on these impressions.
Old 20th October 2012, 04:15 PM   #308
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The AN15 has a fuller sound, the mid-range is richer, more presence. Or maybe I could say that the Martello-2 has in comparison a slightly recessed mid-range. In the mids, I like the AN15 better
Thats MSS - Massive Speaker Syndrome - an affliction I've suffered with for some time. I think Sippy was recently diagnosed as a sufferer. I believe its quite incurable. Check out Pano and Cal!!!

Quote:
The bass of the Martello-2 falls off at low volume..... The AN15 has more bass, and it starts at lower volumes but the amp simply runs out of steam if you try to crank it
It can be like adding a (super)tweeter and getting all that air. When bass is tangible at low levels recordings open up - quite dramatically in some cases.

Question? Is your new toob design going to hack it with this monster? Might you need a bit more oomph?

Quote:
The treble of the Martello-2 may win out over the AN15 in this comparison, being smoother to my ears. The AN15 is not fatiguing, but the treble is not as clean, the frequency response is not flat enough to be perfect
Thats also room dependent. You might not be used to a whopper of a speaker in the space and putting the back on will change the sound, yet again! Also the mono signal can play tricks on you. Flat aint perfect - i like curves (in the right places )

Quote:
I need to install the back on the AN15 before I can finish up on these impressions
Having the back on will make positive impression I'm sure. Even with all that bracing having another solid side, braced to the cabinet 'should' tighten things up from top to bottom

tnx for keeping us updated
Old 20th October 2012, 05:15 PM   #309
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Question? Is your new toob design going to hack it with this monster? Might you need a bit more oomph?
You might be right, I might just have to build yet more tube amplifiers
Old 20th October 2012, 05:26 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You might be right, I might just have to build yet more tube amplifiers
Uh oh - Treble-Tubitis as well as Massive Speaker Syndrome?!?!?!

Who new Canada could be so bad for your health/wealth?

Hide this!Advertise here!