A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2012, 01:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
....Couldnt you reverse eng to guesstimate, scott? Im not sure there are any secrets any longer!
I think that Scott was referring to what the designer specified as opposed to what is really required. At least that would be my question.

Bob
Old 14th August 2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

are we sure that we even want a vent ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th August 2012, 04:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I think that Scott was referring to what the designer specified as opposed to what is really required. At least that would be my question.
You read my mind Bob

Quote:
It depends what you mean by 'vent' but assuming you are talking about a hole in the box (irrespective of whether it has a duct or tube attached), and again assuming the published data is representative, I would say almost certainly not, unless it's tuned so low that it provides zero useful output. The cabinet is too small to be vented (at least, under the further assumption that a reasonably accurate response is desired).
Old 14th August 2012, 04:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

right. Ok. My mistake. Sometimes i regret writing. Anything. Lol
Old 14th August 2012, 05:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I would say almost certainly not
exactly.

Looking at the AN15, the published Fs is already low enough, no need for a resonant port to extend it lower. And I already ruled out adding a 2nd driver, which a tuned port becomes, albeit with a mechanical cross-over.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 14th August 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 14th August 2012, 05:43 PM   #16
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

What?! No ~aperiodic vent to 'tighten up' this under-damped alignment? Also, FWIW, the pioneers of audio determined that from an acoustical loading POV of point source drivers that the cab's net Vb should be whatever raised its Fs 1.56x, be it sealed or vented, or ~15.15 ft^3 based on the published spec. No clue whether there's any audible difference between 13.6 and 15.15 though. My SWAG is it would be very room, signal source dependent.

GM
Old 14th August 2012, 06:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

My local store stocks Baltic Birch in 2' x 4' sheets. With almost no cutting this makes for a Vb of 16 cu.ft. - less volume of the panels, the driver, and bracing. It's probably going to end up closer to the 13.6 than 15 but I figured this still allows an Fc around high 30's which is just fine.

Damping - adding resistive ports to the back panel could be experimented with as the back panel will be removable & replaceable

Last edited by Bigun; 14th August 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:47 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I did the 1st pass on an An-Ken for the 15, constrained by the wxd restraints posted by an interested party and they would have needed to be 3m tall. Set that aside for now.

Thinking of a practical box that isn't an OB (which i have never been enamoured of), i was figuring a couple hundred litre, box damped like a boffle with a swiss cheese back (you need a back to make the box structurally strong).

dave
Old 14th August 2012, 07:05 PM   #19
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Damping - adding resistive ports to the back panel could be experimented with as the back panel will be removable & replaceable
'Sounds' like a plan!

GM
Old 14th August 2012, 07:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yep, that's going to be favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
What?! No ~aperiodic vent to 'tighten up' this under-damped alignment? Also, FWIW, the pioneers of audio determined that from an acoustical loading POV of point source drivers that the cab's net Vb should be whatever raised its Fs 1.56x, be it sealed or vented, or ~15.15 ft^3 based on the published spec. No clue whether there's any audible difference between 13.6 and 15.15 though. My SWAG is it would be very room, signal source dependent.

GM
+1. Since the CSA plans were mentioned, I was largely just dreading they were going to be run as a BR (since their record isn't great when it comes to box alignments ).

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th August 2012 at 07:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!