A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 02:38 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
this seems just as viable to me - if there's a shelf brace connecting the front panel to the other panels just below the mounting of the driver then it essentially couples the driver to all sides of the box.
Where is the shelf brace attached? If its to the front panel below the driver it has no real effect on the driver per se - just the baffle to which it is attached.

By making a solid contact with the reverse of the magnet the 'holey brace' transfers movement/vibration to at least one other panel - the back (more if possible), and is mechanically linked to the front panel via the frame to several mounting points in a 15" circular pattern which gives better control than a straight bar across the front. The magnet & frame become part of the brace.

The shelf just splits the baffle into 2 peices that vibrate semi independently of each other and then need controlling again. Especially in such a large cabinet. The frame in such a large driver is subject to vibration and potentially movement (depending on material & build) and by 'sinking' this away to another, or several, panels it works as a better brace.

Last edited by JRKO; 17th August 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:38 PM   #102
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
I am thinking
yeah, I know, clutching at straws to find justification for a brace on the magnet. Seems like a belt and braces approach at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
Where is the shelf brace attached? If its to the front panel below the driver it has no real effect on the driver per se - just the baffle to which it is attached....
If Melon is using CSA drawings, the shelf brace is horizontal, parallel to the floor, and about half way up the height of the box. It is attached along all 4 edges to the front, the back and both sides of the box. We can't publish the drawings as they are copyright and permission to publish them has been specifically withheld.

The cast driver frame is clearly substantial and strong. It connects the magnet to the front baffle. Melon and I were suggesting that bracing the front baffle near to the driver frame is equivalent to bracing the magnet in terms of the benefits that Planet10 is looking to gain from a magnet brace, i.e. it transfers vibrations from the driver to all sides of the box.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 17th August 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:53 PM   #103
Banned

Quote:
If Melon is using CSA drawings, the shelf brace is horizontal, parallel to the floor, and about half way up the height of the box. It is attached along all 4 edges to the front, the back and both sides of the box. We can't publish the drawings as they are copyright and permission to publish them has been specifically withheld.
If anyone tells you "this is not rocket science", tell them they don't know what they're talking about

Yes imagine a shelf like on a bookshelf but with holes in it
Old 17th August 2012, 03:06 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If Melon is using CSA drawings, the shelf brace is horizontal, parallel to the floor, and about half way up the height of the box. It is attached along all 4 edges to the front, the back and both sides of the box.
Like an internal belt then? Like they use on box kites and packing crates? What does this thing brace against? Because unless there is a crossmember from front to back thru the middle, or side to side thru the middle, or very large triangular corner pieces its not really bracing. (unless its 12" deep)

Half way up you say? If its there to help reduce the vibration of 4 large panels, in the process created 8 smaller ones which are still very big on a box that size.

If I were undertaking a box this big having spent out on the AN drivers I'd do the holey brace for the magnet and several holey triangular braces. Then industrial rubber of various thickness sticking tile/mdf/ply to the various surfaces and jobs a goodun'

Last edited by JRKO; 17th August 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 17th August 2012, 03:11 PM   #105
Banned

There is a crossmember front to back and side to side
Old 17th August 2012, 03:15 PM   #106
Banned

Like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracing.jpg (10.7 KB, 528 views)
Old 17th August 2012, 03:48 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

I like those boxes, how are you planning to finish them ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 17th August 2012, 03:50 PM   #108
Banned

These are not my boxes. I was too lazy to get my camera out so I found a photo with the same type of brace
Old 17th August 2012, 03:54 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

back of the speaker is still gonna be vibrating around with no rearward sink.

go on. brace it. you know you'll feel better

btw those cabinets are way smaller than the 10cuft+ I thought we were talking about. Maybe 1/3 of the volume? nice tho
Old 17th August 2012, 04:08 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

I don't want to start off with a big brace onto the rear panel because I am hoping to find the time to try it with some variations on the themes of 'open back', 'boffled', 'aperiodic' which means keeping some flexibility. Maybe there's a way to accommodate all these things.

Hide this!Advertise here!