Lowther DX3 Cabinet, what too do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am looking at a diy cabinet for DX3's, I have to say my head is spinning there are so many options!

I have purchased a pair of Lowther DX3's from the common sense audio crew, I have plans for their 2.8 bass reflex cab. I have spoken to Lowther they suggest the Fidelios. I have a mate recommending I investigate infinite baffle (closed box) And have come up trumps for information on that. There is also the voight pipe and it goes on and on.

Anyone got a suggestion?

The room I intend to use is (W)3.5m x (L)4.5m x (H)3m I will set up along the narrow end as its the only place that is logical given the placement of architectural fixtures. the floor is timber it has a large rug covering 3/4 of the area. The room has a medium liveliness.

My music tastes range from 20th century classical too metal, from jazz to experimental through rock and alternative.

ohh yeah the amp is a Tubelab SE 300b.

Thanks for reading.

Dunno.
Been there done that..in mid 80's. Spent 2/3 years Dicking with the things.
Problem was that they have 'glimmerings' of being quite Good.
But (in my case at least) it was ephemeral. Just like Farming, one good result makes one put up with /hope for another good year/result.
Hey! it's just around the next corner :).. never happens though, just like wining the lottery, it happens to someone else...decided Life's too short imo.
Ever wonder WHY? there are more box designs than mfg'd Lowthers ? IMO Cuz none actually work as expected :_)
Finally sold the things in Disgust.. with never a second thought.
Good luck though..as for many, the quest is everything.

Last edited:
Never make a BR box for a Lowther, it won't work. I don't understand why the common sense people show so little common sense in that.

The Fidelio (which I have not heard) is a modern design by Lowther itself, I believe they also sell or sold the ready made speaker so it should be reasonable.

But I would first investigate Martin King's well documented MLTL (which looks superficially like a bass reflex, but it isn't) design. This allows you to get some bass with a reasonably sized enclosure.
Several pages, plans and strongly recommended BSC filter are here:
Lowther DX Series of Drivers in a ML TL Enclosure
You can always install double speaker binding posts on this box with one pair bypassing the correction filter so you can try your preference.

If you want some bass out of them i would rekomend the BIB. They are large back-loaded corner-horns that is easy to build. They sound very full and powerful, and i think that would be a very good match to the Lowthers quite strong personality. Lowther can sound wonderful, but they are not so easy to get most out of. You have to work to get there.

Johannes.

A BR is not impossible with a DX3 assuming a high output impedance amplifier, although I'd want a properly designed one & not the CSA 2.8ft^3 box. You won't get particularly great LF extension though, and dynamic range will be limited since it's no different to an MLTL in almost certainly requiring some shelving filters.

Sealed will have zero useful LF output, but it would be practical were you to use the DX3s as wideband mid-tweets with supporting bass drivers (what people nowadays have an obsession for calling a 'FAST' system: a loathsome and irritating moniker for what is simply a 2-way with a relatively low XO frequency).

A back-horn is probably closest to what Lowther originally intended for the drivers; there are plenty of designs out there. Just make sure it's the largest you can practically use. A BIB is simple, if tall, effective, and in fact is the closest thing around to the original Voigt (no 'h') horn / pipe. They are essentially just tapped conical horns and since they usually have a wider gain BW than an MLTL or BR, you may require less corrective circuitry.

Lowthers work as expected. Assuming a competent designer, so do the boxes (although there have been many poorly designed enclosures for Lowthers over the years). However, all design is a compromise, Lowthers are also idiosyncratic units, not everybody likes this, and if you don't, that means they are hard work since you will need multiple filters, and the end result still isn't likely to appeal to someone who doesn't really care for that sort of sound in the first place.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,

Mellon Head I like the idea unfortunately I can't spare much space. I have a maximum of 1m out from the wall.

Scottmoose I have been considering the idea of a two way, even a 3 way with a super tweet.
Back to single driver, I was looking at a back loaded horn yesterday called the Alfredo, the few that have commented on it like it.

Has anyone else heard of the Alfredo? what do you think?

Back to single driver, I was looking at a back loaded horn yesterday called the Alfredo, the few that have commented on it like it.

Has anyone else heard of the Alfredo? what do you think?

I haven't heard it, but it seems reasonable on plan at least.

Still, it is a complex build, and since Martin King's well regarded MLTL is so very quickly made, with correction filter an all, why not put that quickly together in unfinished state, and listen whether you like it.
Chances are, you will like it, if not, you only lost one day of construction and a few simple pieces of wood; while the Alfredo will keep you busy for much longer.

I have DX3's. I originally had them in at 2.8 BR design that Commonsense recommended. They were built by Wyatt Woodworking. I paid $800 for them and they are beautiful. However I could never get the sound I was looking for. I didn't try any passive electronics though. I suspect that would have helped.

I now have them in the Medallion horns which are much larger then the 2.8 BRs. With the help of a sub, they sound great

Since you have a size limitation, the 2.8 BRs may not be a bad choice. You would have to tweak them and add a sub to make them sound decent.

Inccidently, I have no use for my BRs and am selling them if you are interested.

DX3 Cabinet

Straight forward cabinet for single driver DX3 ? Check out Bob Brines LT-2000. You will actually get reasonable bass from an uncomplicated (but not unsophisticated) design. I have built them. If you are inclined to a horn design, I would strongly recommend you audition first and consider if the audible result is really worth the difficulty of the build.

DX3 Cabinet

Straight forward cabinet for single driver DX3 ? Check out Bob Brines LT-2000. You will actually get reasonable bass from an uncomplicated (but not unsophisticated) design. I have built them. If you are inclined to a horn design, I would strongly recommend you audition first and consider if the audible result is really worth the difficulty of the build.

I fear I have made a mistake

I am wondering if have purchased the wrong drivers for my intended purpose. I am also hesatant to put in filters and so forth. I was aiming for the simplest singal path possible. A crossover if necessary would be acceptable. I listen too modern rock mostly however I do have quite eclectic taste.

I fear that the DX3's are not going to preform without a lot of mucking around, and then they still may not operate as intended. Note Bear says similar in his first reply.

cheers

Since there is no difference between a crossover and a shelving filter insofar as many crossovers contain shelving elements, what's the problem there? If you're bothered about the signal going through passive componentry, that applies in both cases.

I'd concur in suggesting you try Bob's MLTL, with the caveat that they're not going to be ideal speakers for hard rock, or anything with considerable dynamic range (big orchestral etc.) unless you're in a small space. That applies to most all unsupported wideband drivers, so they're not alone on that score. In general, Lowthers are not particularly easy units to work with, although the boxes aren't necessarily the major issue (there are a few solid designs out there for them if you look): the driver's inherent responses and behaviour are not neutral. Some swear by them & wouldn't have anything else. Others find the positives are outweighed by the compromises.

LMAO Sorry about the shocking post. I rushed through it using my mobile phone. If you like listening to music like Dianna Krall then something like what has been suggested will work well. If you want something that will make you get up and dance seriously consider what Nelson has done. I don't mean dance literally. I mean you will pull out your whole record collection and not stop till you have heard all of it

Last edited:
Hi again,

What has Nelson done? I think that you understand what im looking for mellon head, not to discount what everyone else is saying. I am keen to get the best match for my tastes before I start anything, I have jumped the gun so to speak purchasing the DX3's. This is ok, they are still untouched in the box they can be sold.

So I guess what I want is dynamics clarity accuracy and efficiency. somthing that "can make you want to play your collection start to finish. this would please my wife as I would stop spending money on expensive audio, or so she thinks:D

The other issue is i don't have the space to experiment too much so I want to get it right first time or close to.. Tall order I know but that's why I am here talking to you all.

I am not solid on the single driver idea, actually i dont really care.
anyways sounding like a broken record or the last track on sonic youths halloween record (it goes on forever).

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.