Lowther DX3 Cabinet, what too do? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2012, 05:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Back to single driver, I was looking at a back loaded horn yesterday called the Alfredo, the few that have commented on it like it.

Has anyone else heard of the Alfredo? what do you think?
I haven't heard it, but it seems reasonable on plan at least.

Still, it is a complex build, and since Martin King's well regarded MLTL is so very quickly made, with correction filter an all, why not put that quickly together in unfinished state, and listen whether you like it.
Chances are, you will like it, if not, you only lost one day of construction and a few simple pieces of wood; while the Alfredo will keep you busy for much longer.
Old 12th August 2012, 05:42 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Good advise thank you.
Old 13th August 2012, 06:36 PM   #13
ranger3 is offline ranger3  United States
diyAudio Member

I have DX3's. I originally had them in at 2.8 BR design that Commonsense recommended. They were built by Wyatt Woodworking. I paid $800 for them and they are beautiful. However I could never get the sound I was looking for. I didn't try any passive electronics though. I suspect that would have helped.

I now have them in the Medallion horns which are much larger then the 2.8 BRs. With the help of a sub, they sound great

Since you have a size limitation, the 2.8 BRs may not be a bad choice. You would have to tweak them and add a sub to make them sound decent.

Inccidently, I have no use for my BRs and am selling them if you are interested.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:32 PM   #14
drongo is offline drongo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Smile DX3 Cabinet

Straight forward cabinet for single driver DX3 ? Check out Bob Brines LT-2000. You will actually get reasonable bass from an uncomplicated (but not unsophisticated) design. I have built them. If you are inclined to a horn design, I would strongly recommend you audition first and consider if the audible result is really worth the difficulty of the build.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:37 PM   #15
drongo is offline drongo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Smile DX3 Cabinet

Straight forward cabinet for single driver DX3 ? Check out Bob Brines LT-2000. You will actually get reasonable bass from an uncomplicated (but not unsophisticated) design. I have built them. If you are inclined to a horn design, I would strongly recommend you audition first and consider if the audible result is really worth the difficulty of the build.
Old 14th August 2012, 03:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default I fear I have made a mistake

I am wondering if have purchased the wrong drivers for my intended purpose. I am also hesatant to put in filters and so forth. I was aiming for the simplest singal path possible. A crossover if necessary would be acceptable. I listen too modern rock mostly however I do have quite eclectic taste.

I fear that the DX3's are not going to preform without a lot of mucking around, and then they still may not operate as intended. Note Bear says similar in his first reply.

cheers
Old 14th August 2012, 07:55 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Since there is no difference between a crossover and a shelving filter insofar as many crossovers contain shelving elements, what's the problem there? If you're bothered about the signal going through passive componentry, that applies in both cases.

I'd concur in suggesting you try Bob's MLTL, with the caveat that they're not going to be ideal speakers for hard rock, or anything with considerable dynamic range (big orchestral etc.) unless you're in a small space. That applies to most all unsupported wideband drivers, so they're not alone on that score. In general, Lowthers are not particularly easy units to work with, although the boxes aren't necessarily the major issue (there are a few solid designs out there for them if you look): the driver's inherent responses and behaviour are not neutral. Some swear by them & wouldn't have anything else. Others find the positives are outweighed by the compromises.
Old 14th August 2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Banned

You want puched in the face when you hear drumsk then build something like a slot loaded open baffle. I wouldn't give up so easily, the journey is half of the fun. You will also learn a heap of stuff in the process
Old 14th August 2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Banned

LMAO Sorry about the shocking post. I rushed through it using my mobile phone. If you like listening to music like Dianna Krall then something like what has been suggested will work well. If you want something that will make you get up and dance seriously consider what Nelson has done. I don't mean dance literally. I mean you will pull out your whole record collection and not stop till you have heard all of it

Last edited by Melon Head; 14th August 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi again,

What has Nelson done? I think that you understand what im looking for mellon head, not to discount what everyone else is saying. I am keen to get the best match for my tastes before I start anything, I have jumped the gun so to speak purchasing the DX3's. This is ok, they are still untouched in the box they can be sold.

So I guess what I want is dynamics clarity accuracy and efficiency. somthing that "can make you want to play your collection start to finish. this would please my wife as I would stop spending money on expensive audio, or so she thinks

The other issue is i don't have the space to experiment too much so I want to get it right first time or close to.. Tall order I know but that's why I am here talking to you all.

I am not solid on the single driver idea, actually i dont really care.
anyways sounding like a broken record or the last track on sonic youths halloween record (it goes on forever).

cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!