Help with driver selection for tqwp cabs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2012, 04:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with driver selection for tqwp cabs

I have a very nice pair of tqwp cabinets finished in clear birch that I built years ago that I want to get back in service for my teenage sons. I need a driver recommendation for a cabinet with this rough specs:

Cutout for driver: 5.75" (made for 6.5" driver originally)
Pipe length 72"
exit port: 2 7/8" x 9 1/2"
cabinet internal dimensions: 9 1/2"w x 11"d x 35 1/2" tall

It is a pretty standard looking tqwp design with one 180 degree turn at top and one 90 turn at bottom, port on front bottom of cabinet.

I built the cabinet for a Fostex 167 driver IIRC but I never liked the Fostex sound. I want something economy for this effort and I don't have a problem adding a tweeter. My playground is high efficiency horn speakers and low powered DHT stuff but this speaker will be driven by a homeade gainclone with more power.

I could change the size of the driver up or down if necessary but changes to the overall cabinet I don't want to do.

As a side note, I have a pair of FR125S sitting idle. Are they too small for this cabinet?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Last edited by Jimmy D.; 8th August 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 8th August 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, if you only "recall correctly" not liking the Fostex sound (of the time), I'd suggest at least considering the latest models - in this case the FF165WK, which to some ears might need a tweeter. IMHO, the new WK series represent a substantial improvement over their immediate predecessors.

But of course, they might still be not your cup of tea - and there now exists an embarrassment of riches of affordable drivers from which to choose, so I think it's understandable when some of us tend to stick with a few favorite combos.

Before we get too involved in recommending driver choices, what would you consider an "economical" range?

The FR125s work great run full range in small sealed or aperiodically loaded enclosures, and while they might not necessarily be too small for the enclosure volume, but I've personally heard them demonstrate some disconcerting behaviour in underdamped vented designs.
Old 8th August 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As far as an "economical range" for this effort I'd say < $50 ea.

I guess I may have to go with a more typical 2 way design.

Jim
Old 8th August 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy D. View Post
As far as an "economical range" for this effort I'd say < $50 ea.

I guess I may have to go with a more typical 2 way design.

Jim

there's no reason you couldn't implement a 2 way in these enclosures - selecting the candidate drivers from the standard fare of budget bundled systems from folks like Madisound, Parts Express, etc
Old 8th August 2012, 11:38 PM   #5
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy D. View Post
As a side note, I have a pair of FR125S sitting idle.
If the cab works well with the FE167, then it's theoretically too small for the 125, but if it were me, I'd try them anyway.

GM
Old 15th September 2012, 11:54 AM   #6
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

My design uses cheap 6.5 " fibre glass cone speakers from the Far East with a two way crossover and a tweeter and boy they sound fantastic. The principal feature of my design is that the port is at the rear of the speaker which allows one to place them in the corners of the room and use the rear space as part of a horn. Also the port area equals the cone area. One thing I did find was that the woofers had holes in the magnet, possibly for cooling, but performed better when plugged, the initial resonant frequency was 45 Hz.

Mac

DIY Loudspeaker construction

Last edited by balerit; 15th September 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!