Help with driver selection for tqwp cabs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a very nice pair of tqwp cabinets finished in clear birch that I built years ago that I want to get back in service for my teenage sons. I need a driver recommendation for a cabinet with this rough specs:

Cutout for driver: 5.75" (made for 6.5" driver originally)
Pipe length 72"
exit port: 2 7/8" x 9 1/2"
cabinet internal dimensions: 9 1/2"w x 11"d x 35 1/2" tall

It is a pretty standard looking tqwp design with one 180 degree turn at top and one 90 turn at bottom, port on front bottom of cabinet.

I built the cabinet for a Fostex 167 driver IIRC but I never liked the Fostex sound. I want something economy for this effort and I don't have a problem adding a tweeter. My playground is high efficiency horn speakers and low powered DHT stuff but this speaker will be driven by a homeade gainclone with more power.

I could change the size of the driver up or down if necessary but changes to the overall cabinet I don't want to do.

As a side note, I have a pair of FR125S sitting idle. Are they too small for this cabinet?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Last edited:
Well, if you only "recall correctly" not liking the Fostex sound (of the time), I'd suggest at least considering the latest models - in this case the FF165WK, which to some ears might need a tweeter. IMHO, the new WK series represent a substantial improvement over their immediate predecessors.

But of course, they might still be not your cup of tea - and there now exists an embarrassment of riches of affordable drivers from which to choose, so I think it's understandable when some of us :rolleyes: tend to stick with a few favorite combos.

Before we get too involved in recommending driver choices, what would you consider an "economical" range?

The FR125s work great run full range in small sealed or aperiodically loaded enclosures, and while they might not necessarily be too small for the enclosure volume, but I've personally heard them demonstrate some disconcerting behaviour in underdamped vented designs.

My design uses cheap 6.5 " fibre glass cone speakers from the Far East with a two way crossover and a tweeter and boy they sound fantastic. The principal feature of my design is that the port is at the rear of the speaker which allows one to place them in the corners of the room and use the rear space as part of a horn. Also the port area equals the cone area. One thing I did find was that the woofers had holes in the magnet, possibly for cooling, but performed better when plugged, the initial resonant frequency was 45 Hz.

Mac

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/215967-diy-loudspeaker-construction.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.