Plugging speaker ports - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Plugging speaker ports

Hi I'm Alex
I recently purchased a set of Polk Audio RTI A7's.
I brought them mainly for music playback but soon found out that they perform better in a HT configuration.

I later found out (through pain staking research) that plugging the ports (lower front and rear for bass and upper front for mids) would tighten the response of the drivers an turn them into a set of awesome music playback speakers; and it did.

I started with socks then move to form the I had custom made.

My question is can I use rubber stoppers instead of sock or foam?
I feel that this will prevent any air from escaping causing an even tighter driver response and turn the enclosure into a totally seal cabinet.

Side Note:
I have a Cerwin Vega cv-1800 amp (connected via a Nad 1155 preamp and im using an Ipad 3 for a Jukebox) that has more than enough power to drive them in this configuration; and as far a tv viewing I saw Battleship the other day and it was as good if not better than being at the theater.

Thank in advance
Old 8th August 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Anything that works. On a DYI if someone used plastic pipe, you can get expanding plugs in the plumbers department. Some speakers were shipped with foam plugs for just what you are doing.
Old 8th August 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexny View Post
and as far a tv viewing I saw Battleship the other day and it was as good if not better than being at the theater.

Thank in advance

you sat all the way through that one?

If it wasn't for the $20 reservation and ticket price, I might well have walked out of Prometheus - IMAX 3D or not - to paraphrase Bill Maher ; "maybe I still don't believe in eternity, but that's 11hrs I'll never get back" - hyperbole of course, it was really only 6 hours
Old 8th August 2012, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
you sat all the way through that one?

If it wasn't for the $20 reservation and ticket price, I might well have walked out of Prometheus - IMAX 3D or not - to paraphrase Bill Maher ; "maybe I still don't believe in eternity, but that's 11hrs I'll never get back" - hyperbole of course, it was really only 6 hours

It was good
Old 8th August 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Am I the only one who thought Prometheus was a good film? I can't say it was necessarily 'enjoyable', and I tend to lean toward the Carl Sagan view of possible advanced alien species in that I rather suspect if they exist it is only by the lack of aggression which has nearly taken out this entire planet on several occasions. But I respect it. (Very) well acted, a basically solid, if not all that original story, and beautifully shot.

Short answer Max is 'yes, you can.' Although it won't necessarily be any 'better' than closed cell foam. You'll raise effective box Qtc, that's for sure.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 8th August 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 9th August 2012, 03:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A leaky plug might work better that a total seal. Compare.
Old 9th August 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Am I the only one who thought Prometheus was a good film? I can't say it was necessarily 'enjoyable', and I tend to lean toward the Carl Sagan view of possible advanced alien species in that I rather suspect if they exist it is only by the lack of aggression which has nearly taken out this entire planet on several occasions. But I respect it. (Very) well acted, a basically solid, if not all that original story, and beautifully shot.

Short answer Max is 'yes, you can.' Although it won't necessarily be any 'better' than closed cell foam. You'll raise effective box Qtc, that's for sure.
I have'nt seen that movie yet; waiting for the rip. But I think we started that fight in Battleship. How do we know those aliens new what a warning shot was; maybe they thought we just missed>

Hide this!Advertise here!