Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You know, these speakers (with this SE 2A3 amp) do so many things right it is really hard for me to find fault with them. Obviously they aren't going to have the deepest bass in the world or be able to reach the sound levels of a big horn rig. They are just incredibly easy to listen to for extended periods and the mid band can really be stunning.

This is my first Mark Audio product and I have to say I'm so impressed it leaves me wanting to try other drivers in the current line up.

I have mine set up in an alcove-like area at one end of my studio. Since I took this photo I've moved them onto concrete blocks directly in front of the shelf they sit on now. I had to rob 3 different toddlers to make those diffusers!:D

IMG_4578_zps0623dd56.jpg

IMG_4584_zpse906fe82.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg

You know, these speakers (with this SE 2A3 amp) do so many things right it is really hard for me to find fault with them.

I could say the same for my SP's, they just don't fit very well on a desktop.;)

This is my first Mark Audio product and I have to say I'm so impressed it leaves me wanting to try other drivers in the current line up.

They're all very good.

I had to rob 3 different toddlers to make those diffusers!:D

Kinda cool actually.:up:

jeff

that amp is almost too freaking cool to cover - anyone putting their fingers in the wrong place would soon learn their mistake (I'm convinced that we do feel the instant of demise, just have no way to forward our impressions to the outside) :rolleyes:

what, too dark?

I finally got around to firing up some 12Ps in a standmounter myself last night ( also an SE amp- this one a 6SC7) - certainly not a disco pounder, but very delicate and detailed - I need to make time for some more relaxed listening.

Vaughn,

Cool setup! A cozy corner indeed. The diffusers are quite unique :) - hope you compensated the toddlers who gave up their blocks. And yes, very nice amp!

I am currently breaking in my pair of A12P and agree with you gents - the mid-range is very good. I've got only 50 hours on them, so still some way to go.

Sorry for being nosy, but I have one observation - are those Monster interconnects I spot? If so may I suggest that you try out single strand CAT5 cable too? I had a pair of similar ICs and found that CAT5 with simple low cost RCA connectors sounded even better with an EL34 SE amp.

- Zia

thanks for the kind words everyone!:) I have to admit now that I've made the stand mounters I'm curious what they would have been like in the super pensil enclosures. Of course if I'd built the pensils the reverse would have been true.:rolleyes:

Vaughn,

Sorry for being nosy, but I have one observation - are those Monster interconnects I spot? If so may I suggest that you try out single strand CAT5 cable too? I had a pair of similar ICs and found that CAT5 with simple low cost RCA connectors sounded even better with an EL34 SE amp.

- Zia

You've got a keen eye Zia! Yes, those are some Monster interconnects I dug out of my wire box. I do indeed have plans to build a set of interconnects and speaker cable from cat5 wire.

thanks for the kind words everyone!:) I have to admit now that I've made the stand mounters I'm curious what they would have been like in the super pensil enclosures. Of course if I'd built the pensils the reverse would have been true.:rolleyes:

You've got a keen eye Zia! Yes, those are some Monster interconnects I dug out of my wire box. I do indeed have plans to build a set of interconnects and speaker cable from cat5 wire.

if you want to get spendy on the RCAs, try the Eichmann bullet plugs (just be prepared to fuddle-duck some type of strain relief), or in the spirit of frugalness that CAT5 inspires, try the super cheapie Radio Shack

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Phono Plug (6-Pack) : Phono Plugs | RadioShack.com

These are the ones:

Phono Plug (8-Pack) : Phono Plugs | RadioShack.com

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

The biggest issue with CAT5 solid is it's tendency to fatigue with frequent flexing for which it's not designed.
FWIW, I prefer the soft plastic extended sleeve when simply twisting or braiding 2 or 3 conductors of this wire - a couple of layers of adhesive heatshrink inside and out gives you pretty good strain relief.

Those shown above have a larger opening in the plastic cover and are great if you're using hemp rope, cotton shoelaces, aquarium hose etc as sleeving or core - more desirable if you're planning on lots of plugging & unplugging

Few mm wider and shallow...

Scott,

I have a pair of A12 DBR boxes which I might be able to convert into the A12small BR box (also dubbed as Moose Monitors).

I will end up having a baffle which is ~26mm wider; I can reduce side length to keep the box overall volume same.

Should be ok?

- Zia

Last edited:
Zia,
Scott may be busy with other things that has prevented him replying.

As long as you keep to the same internal volume the extra 26mm wider baffle should be OK. It might have a small impact on reduced imaging but this could be minor and could be not at all. You can always cut a 45-deg chamfer around the front baffle if you like.

When Scott sent me the design he only gave me the volume and port details. I ended up with the size of box that Scott and I published from playing around with CAD and several different sized boxes that gave the same volume. To my eyes the published box gave the most eye pleasing result.

Hope this helps.

okay, im doing those speakers this week, wish me luck!
just to be sure, post 53 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mark...p-gen2-standmount-speakers-6.html#post3140404, is the one to follow for the dimensions?

Yes. Plans:

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/SmallReflexA122p-191012.pdf

For the baffle you will need 1" thickness with the A12P. With a 18-19mm board you will be left with 6-7mm after doing the rebate for the driver, and that is probably too less. I added a 6mm layer to the 18mm ply I had; Two layers of 1/2" ply should work too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.