Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ed, rather than argue on an open public forum I have replied to you by email.

I will just add to this thread that these speakers and stands are NOT A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT by me for sale. They have been built purely for my own personal use and I have no intention of sharing any the stand details. Hence I left things with Scott to make his cabinet design public or not.

By-the-way those links you posted to the picture gallery on your web pages is the first I have seen them. I was not aware what your 'Commercial' web site was or whether you still had one I was only aware of your Vitalstates web site that makes no mention or links to the 'hma' pages that I'm aware or that was the case last I visited 'Vitalstates' before I contacted you regards the stands. But no matter you have email.

Re: the stands, they look rather lightweight. I don't know if there's more then meets the eye. However if i were constructing a "swan neck" stand of wood, at the very least i'd do it of two glued up pieces after routing out a center line/round nose bit to sandwich a 1/2"ø - 1"ø steel rod between the two half's to add mass and improve coupling of speaker/stand/floor. So much for the ©, lol;)

Copyright vs. Trademark vs. Patent

So, exactly what is Ed claiming?

Whichever side the "court of public opinion" on might take, the official arbiter of such cases would usually involve lawyers / barristers / solicitors - whatever term y'all wanna use. Who among us has the patience and pocketbook to pursue such matters to their (pen)ultimate conclusion ? Rather like "science", I'm of the opinion that where potential financial benefits / costs are involved, there's never a final answer - how much of the legal profession's livelihood is predicated on that?

Colin

when You emailed me asking for a copy of the plan for these stands in June of this year I politely refused, explaining that they were commercial copyright of Vitalstates Ltd. I'm really not sure what you are trying to say to me here but I can only assume that by ignoring my answer you are trying to antagonise me.

To take the design of another person, a commercial design, and promote it for home construction would appear to fly in the face of copyright ownership, and could possibly lead to loss of revenue for the copyright owner. To then claim the design to be yours causes me to respond thus.

In your first post you allude to me being flattered , well surely the resulting emotion is mine by right, and in this case I am offended.

hma - picture gallery
http://www.vitalstates.org/diy/misc/amon-4.jpg

Hi Ed,
Arguments like these are to be resolved privately, or by contacting me by email. This is the Markaudio section in the commercial part of the Diyaudio. Its main purpose is to help end-users share their knowledge, experiences, opinions (nicely) and projects that use Markaudio products. I'm more than happy that Colin takes the time and effort to help others. I encourage Colin and all members to engage in information sharing processes.

I don't want to discourage your business efforts, but there's little chance of you being able to claim sole design rights to a curved stand design. Member Buzzforb raises an important point about similar designs. Here's some pics of similar shaped stand designs I quickly found on the web. I don't see any design registration (RDA) on your site. Putting a copyright notice on your site doesn't give you the right to claim sole use of a design.

Member Chris's point about engaging the legal profession is timely. I'm currently going through several practical patent and trademark registrations processes here in China. It aint cheap and will take around 2 years. At the end of these processes, there's still no guarantee of copying immunity.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 349
  • wharfedale-diamond-10-stand.jpg
    wharfedale-diamond-10-stand.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 342
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Lookin' good.:up:

Should be quite a nice combo.

jeff

Indeed, - you probably got more extended exposure to the SuperPensil12s on Bernie's very tasty 2A3 than I last weekend, but on a brief "drive-by" I found them much more palatable than the Eminence.

Are these enclosures still at Dave's? I wouldn't mind some more exposure to them with either my EL34 SE or 2A3 monoblocks.

back on track;)

I've got my cabinets tacked together and have started the veneering process.

IMG_4168.jpg

I'll be powering these beasts with a SE 2A3 amp I'm building. Details here

Morrison Micro build begins - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

very ambitious amp project - please keep us updated here

edit: actually, before the edit post time limit expired, I decided to quickly scan the whole thread on the amp project

freaking tasty work - for me the 2A3 has long been the sweet spot in the classic DHT family (45 is even more transparent, but simply not enough power - now use it as driver for class A J-fet output stage, and it's whole 'nother ball game, but I digress) - this could be a marriage made in heaven with the 12P

Last edited:
Indeed, - you probably got more extended exposure to the SuperPensil12s on Bernie's very tasty 2A3 than I last weekend, but on a brief "drive-by" I found them much more palatable than the Eminence.

I got to listen to a LOT of Jimmy Buffet.:eek:

Are these enclosures still at Dave's? I wouldn't mind some more exposure to them with either my EL34 SE or 2A3 monoblocks.

Yes, help yourself to them.:)

jeff

I've got my cabinets tacked together and have started the veneering process.

Others have already commended you on the work, but no harm in saying again - it's looking real nice and look forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Speaking of amps I have started to put together the parts for a EL34 SE based on the Tubelab SE board - ChrisB, pls do share some impressions after playing with Jeff's Super Pensils and your choice of amps - if not on this thread, on the other thread about MA drivers and user amps.

Last edited:
^should be. I say that having met J.C. Morrison along with the rest of the "New York triode mafia" and hearing one of his other amp designs. Also because so far with a little over 200hours i'm liking my 12P's driven by half the "micro 2A3's" output with the 45 tube.
When i get mine in a box i'll try both 2A3 and 45 tube to see which i prefer with them.

Btw, let me know how the EDCOR XPWR134-120 mains work out for you? looks like a bargain at $85 compared to the similarly spec'd 300 series Hammond 374X at $110 and $142 Hammond 374BX.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.