Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just listening to these at Colin's - my cunning plan is to get up really early in the morning and steal them while he's still asleep!

Seriously, tho they are the closest thing I have heard to Quad63 but without the 2 ohm load hassle, they have amazing speed and focus; I like these a lot, they suit my tastes and work nicely with 300B power.

Its like having a pair of headphones but in the room.

We plan to compare them to his Rossendale floorstanders later, I'll get a idea if they lack bass then, but right now I could be convinced that they don't, its so tight and fast, perhaps a little recessed. Colin has them running with just a touch of T90A super tweeter, through a very small cap, the effect is very subtle but just takes off some of the driver's inherent dryness. I could live with them either way....

I'm curious as to how they will perform in the Pencil design.

In terms of a 2-way, the challenge will be finding a suitable bass driver to match these lightening fast drivers, stunning design work Mark et al.

Colin's choice of veneer? Well let just say, the photo doesn't do it justice...

Andrew

As to the actual veneer these will be skinned, in I have taken a close up photo of one the actaul leaves I have. To remind folk this is radial saw cut birch burr and each leave measures 237cm x 70cm That's 93 inches x 27 inches for you non metric folk and costs £35/m² (UKP). It is nice and flat and quite flexible. I don't see any issues with using this veneer it looks and feels very nice indeed. The photo don't do justice really and the colour in real life is a little richer than the photo suggests. But hey I'm no David bailey with a camera.

BIRCH.JPG

My mate Andrew left for for home this morning and didn't steal the speakers as threatened. However, the plan is, with the aid of Scottmoose, to design him a floorstanding cabinet with some bass helper(s). So watch this space, for developments of this design.

In terms of a 2-way, the challenge will be finding a suitable bass driver to match these lightening fast drivers, stunning design work Mark et al.
plan is, with the aid of Scottmoose, to design him a floorstanding cabinet with some bass helper(s). So watch this space, for developments of this design.
Here's something different to think about: Surreal Sound Audio - Home TangBand 8" fullrange driver claimed 20K down to 100hz crossed to six stacked downward firing 10" woofers per channel. I believe it's called a push pull triple chamber bandpass enclosure with two woofers/channel, chamber #1/driver firing into a vented chamber #2/2nd driver firing into the third chamber. Never saw it done with six drivers, three and three oriented parallel to each other all six chambers vented.

Nice choice of veneer. Any more progress?

Unfortunately no.

The start of a new full time job, back to work as a Civil Engineer after a near 3½ year semi-retirement with a long commute means I now only have the weekends spare. However, Scottmoose is coming over today to spend some time listening to his design and a couple others and it's Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK so hopefully I can make a start veneering them tomorrow (Sunday).

Cool man, congrats on the new job! I know how it is to work full time and be limited to a few hours on the weekend to work on projects. In any case, I hope the listening session went well and Scott can chime in with his impressions. I'd still love to get those enclosure dimensions and porting so I can build a pair for myself. :D

Cheers,
Steven

StevenZ wrote
I'd still love to get those enclosure dimensions and porting so I can build a pair for myself. :D

Steve, If you contact Scott direct he'll give you the info. for a personal build. I do know he has had issues recieving emails of late so be patient.

Scott went home with a very favourable impression and a broad grin of these speakers so I expect he'll post up something in the next few days when he has collected all his thoughts together.

StevenZ wrote

Steve, If you contact Scott direct he'll give you the info. for a personal build. I do know he has had issues recieving emails of late so be patient.

Scott went home with a very favourable impression and a broad grin of these speakers so I expect he'll post up something in the next few days when he has collected all his thoughts together.

Yeah I shot him an email on Friday regarding this enclosure while at the office. I sure hope he answered :worship:

Vaughn, I have the same thoughts. I'd imagine it images better and has a more delicate presentation. Can't wait especially since I just built a new subwoofer (CSS SDX10 & Apex Sr. plate amp) which should help tremendously to augment any lost low end. I'll also be using my Electra-Print PVA and crossing them over at 70hz.

-Steven

OK, since there's been some interest, I'll put this out.

It's purely a DIY design, so for strictly non-commercial use only. For anything else, please contact me direct.

Nothing novel about it, it's a simple BR standmount, albeit with a slightly damped alignment. Internal dimensions:

345mm x 218mm x 218mm (HxWxD).
Driver centre 115mm down from internal top.
Vent 50mm diameter x 83mm long, assuming a vent with a single flared end. Note that there is a slight fudge-factor here since not everyone can get metric vents, or those with flush ends. If you can't, re-size accordingly: the target Fb is 55Hz. Vent centre is 115mm up from the internal bottom, on the rear baffle.
Top, base, back and sides of the box should be lined with damping material -your choice, could be ultratouch, 1/2in fiberglass, wool felt / carpet underlay or similar. I strongly advise avoiding egg-crate foam. Never had good experiences with it & the A12p will almost certainly sound like it needs a large dose of health salts if you put any of that material in the box.

Bass output is not thunderous (as you would expect -you've the wrong box and wrong driver if this what you need), but in a modest space it's surprisingly solid, especially with some boundary loading, and even more so if you have a high[ish] output impedance amplifier like Colin's custom 300b monoblocks.

Attachments

• VB Response Mark Audio Alpair 12P.gif
    VB Response Mark Audio Alpair 12P.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 649
  • VB Impedance Mark Audio Alpair 12P.gif
    VB Impedance Mark Audio Alpair 12P.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 629
  • VB Excursion Mark Audio Alpair 12P.gif
    VB Excursion Mark Audio Alpair 12P.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
Bass output is not thunderous (as you would expect -you've the wrong box and wrong driver if this what you need), but in a modest space it's surprisingly solid, especially with some boundary loading, and even more so if you have a high[ish] output impedance amplifier like Colin's custom 300b monoblocks.

Excellent design Mark, Scott and Colin, I really liked this package!

As Scott says bass isn't thunderous, but having heard them, my take is the bass is very good indeed; they just won't move lots of air. So, if you're coming from a large floorstander or from one of Scott's horns then sure you might find them a little less 'thunderous', but if you view them as a "monitor", which they are, then your expectations will be exceeded on all accounts.

Andrew

^nice!

A few questions:
Are you using 15mm ply or 19mm ply?
Any bracing?
Also what are you using for the port/flare? I'm thinking of going with a 2" i.d. pvc pipe and either a 3/4"ø curve rounding over bit (it's actually a 2" rounding over bit), to flare the rear panel or a 1"ø curve bit if i decide to splurge on the expensive router bit.
I looked at 2" flare/port kit, could make for a more finished look but the requisite 4.25"ø cut out hole to insert it into the panel seems large to me and allot of excess plastic.
Madisound Speaker Store

Last edited:
^nice!

A few questions:
Are you using 15mm ply or 19mm ply?
Any bracing?

Yes!:D

I'm actually using whatever I have on hand, keeping the internal dimensions the same of course. 1" for the front and back baffles, 3/4" for the top and bottom and 5/8" for the sides. I'll remove some material on the inside edge of the driver hole to promote airflow (or whatever the hell it is called). I may install a single side to side brace but this cabinet is so small I'm not sure it is necessary. I haven't really accounted for the added volume of a brace so I may just use a thin threaded rod (1/4" or so) pulling the two sides together slightly. I would drill a rebate on the outside of the panels for the nut and fill it with epoxy afterwards.

Not sure on the vent. I think I'm just going to use 2" i.d. PVC pipe and just give it a minimal round over, like 1/8". I guess I'll need to figure out how to adjust the size though for the 55hz tuning though. I have a Mac so Win isn't usable for me:boggled:

Guys,
I have found these small cabinets don't require any additional bracing. My boxes are made with 15mm BB Ply with the front baffle doubled. For internal lining I have used ½" wool felt, basically recycled wool carpet underlay felt. Works a treat.

Though a flared port is the optimum I have used these MBR-50 and providing you can place the speakers either in a corner or close to a rear wall I doubt you'll be disappointed with the bass.

If you are making stands make them high enough that he centreline of the driver is at ear level when seated in your favourite listening chair. Do fix the speakers to the stands and use spikes. I have my stands bolted to the speakers and this helps greatly with improved imaging and tighter bass.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned I have now covered and finished one the speakers and one the pedestal stands in the Birch burr and my son thought they looked like CORK boxes! Kids what do they know ;). Just need to re-install the drivers wire it up and start on covering the other speakers and stand. I must say this burr veneer is very nice and easy to work with.

Pictures to follow this weekend. Promise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.