Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
hmm,, WAF ? - dude, a real man wouldn't let that get in his way ;)

just ask Cal :rolleyes: - or Lou Reda ( now, that's an in-joke - none of the ones for whom you'll likely find a google result. )
Itss gonna be a tough call but
I think that I still prefer my girl, I think :rolleyes:.

Seriously, we live in a 3 and half appartment. My big *** system, big as a fridge everyone tells me, is in our bedroom, as its the biggest room. Then, next to it, there the rest room with the computer as a tv. this is where I want to put the alpair 12p standmount. I can understand the she thinks there enough speakers as it is right now. But I think ill be able to convince her! God I sound like a maniac!

Itss gonna be a tough call but
I think that I still prefer my girl, I think :rolleyes:.

Seriously, we live in a 3 and half appartment. My big *** system, big as a fridge everyone tells me, is in our bedroom, as its the biggest room. Then, next to it, there the rest room with the computer as a tv. this is where I want to put the alpair 12p standmount. I can understand the she thinks there enough speakers as it is right now. But I think ill be able to convince her! God I sound like a maniac!

if she has ears and cares for music at all, let the sound to the convincing - if not, take what you can get, and save your powers of persuasion for other sensory pursuits

Great, I have the green light to build the standmount!
Chris, If you accept, I would just like to confirm the dimensions of the panels to make sure that I dont get mixed up with the inner or outer dimensions!
I'm excited!

for which enclosure? I've not built any enclosure for the 12Ps other than SuperPensils or the MarKen12T. If you're talking the Scott Lindgren standmount design that Colin Topps has shared, I'm not sure that I've even seen the drawings.

and again, the girl interpose and say no!
dammit!
I'll keep on using the fonkens fe127

How big is her shoe closet? ;)

Does the enclosure need to be bookshelf / monitor small? Considering that enclosures such as Fonkens generally tend to be used with stands, the total footprint and actual space used is at least as much as a pair of floorstanders, and there are several excellent designs that work very well with A7 and A10.

I'm a big fan of the A7 for a lot of reasons - range of compact enclosures among them (such as MarKen - slightly smaller in fact that FonkenPrime for FE127E) - and they certainly work quite well in modest sized room HT systems in which they're high passed to woofers doing the heavy lifting. But even in a full sized cabinet, unaided it will never deliver the sensitivity and bass extension of the 12P - apples and oranges, really.

Now the A10 can certainly give the 12P a run for the money in smaller designs , but when enclosure size is not a limitation, the 12P is pretty hard to beat.

I have been playing around with other surface finishes than the usual real wood veneer I generally use. Looking at the car vinyl 3D wrap that comes in an array of finishes and colours I thought the Grey/Silver carbon look vinyl a good match to the paper cone of the A12P. So I purchased a sample to try out. The results are quite encouraging and this stuff is so easy to use that good results are almost guaranteed if you are loathe to try veneering.

I decided to use the very same standmount box featured elsewhere in this thread but make the side panels 3mm oversize all round and feature them as exposed panels. I routed a 3mm chamfer around the edges of the side panels. This has two advantages. Allows easy alignment of the sides when gluing in place and secondly adds to the looks. The side panels were simply sealed, primed and sprayed satin black. The vinyl wrap needs to be applied before the side panels are glued in place and it is best to seal the wood with a propriatory sanding sealer before applying the vinyl wrap to give the adhesive something non porus to bind to.

I must say I am rather taken by the look of these that it may transpire into other designs I build in the future should a more modern look be required over the more traditional wood finishes. Here are the results:

A12PVINYL01.JPG

A12PVINYL02.JPG

A12PVINYL03.JPG

A12PVINYL04.JPG

For some reason the images appear squashed and one must click on the image to expand to the correct size??

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
yeah, they look amazing, congrats!

About my situation, yes I cant build the standmount. They are a bit bigger then the fonkens and even those, my girlfriend wants them out, so I can even keep the fonkens. We have a really small rest room, so when we will move out, ill build the pensils for the rest room, but for now, it will be minimus :(

Colin - the garden is looking particularly colourful at the moment

It is indeed though a little late in blooming this year due the cold wet weather. No thanks to my efforts, it's all down to my other half who has the green fingers. Bless her.
Today we had halestone showers and it's supposed to be the start of our summer!! Temerature today has struggled to get into double figures (deg C).
Bah to global warming I say.

I posted up the vinyl covered speakers to encourage others to try none conventional speaker coverings. I have a box of the CHBW drivers awaiting a new design and I might try a black carbon fibre finish for those.

One of the potential side effects of global warming is to bring much colder climate to the UK as the Arctic ice melt could kill the Caribbean current that normally keeps you guys balmy.

dave

"global warming" = accelerated climate change / "dynamic range" of extremes - ask long time residents in Oklahoma about increased incidence and severity of "heavy weather"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.