diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Take this hearing test.. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/217472-take-hearing-test.html)

Bare 6th August 2012 08:35 PM

Take this hearing test..

Frightening how little.. we can actually hear.
IF older than 25 :o
TRY this at Home Kids:

Hearing Test - high frequency sounds measure hearing loss
Mosquito Ringtone

Just perhaps.. a driver that goes to 14kHz is ALL one needs
or merely 12kHz ?
I can hear 14k.. sort of.. IF I crank the volume way up :rolleyes:
Reputedly ~ 40% of males can't hear 8000 Hz .. 40db ! down due to everyday occupational effects
Bit scary as this loss accelerates for all of us once past 60.

chazdrumzalot 6th August 2012 10:15 PM

I was surprised and pleased that I could hear something at 21k!

Scottmoose 6th August 2012 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still good for 18KHz; just about 20KHz but with very rapid drop-off (although we have that anyway via the Fletcher-Munson / Equal Loudness curves -per attached). How much of that is my middling quality headphones & how much HF loss I don't know. I ran the same through some slightly better (or at least, what I know to be accurate) test-tones to confirm. Since I'm male & 34 at the end of next month, rather than a bat-eared 16 year old girl, I suppose that isn't too bad, all things considered.

opa1 6th August 2012 10:49 PM

I'm down to 8KHz. Guess I dont have to worry about hf enhancement.LOL
54 yrs.:eek:

tvrgeek 6th August 2012 10:54 PM

As I am testing tweeters every now and again, I know I am still over 18K. At half my age, I could do well over 20.

Melo theory 6th August 2012 11:00 PM

14k....yes
15k....maybe
16k....placebo
JM. 38 years of age.

benb 6th August 2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bare (Post 3117024)
Frightening how little.. we can actually hear.
IF older than 25 :o
TRY this at Home Kids:

Hearing Test - high frequency sounds measure hearing loss
Mosquito Ringtone

Just perhaps.. a driver that goes to 14kHz is ALL one needs
or merely 12kHz ?
I can hear 14k.. sort of.. IF I crank the volume way up :rolleyes:
Reputedly ~ 40% of males can't hear 8000 Hz .. 40db ! down due to everyday occupational effects
Bit scary as this loss accelerates for all of us once past 60.

I'm past a half century. I have the volume at moderately low, but the 8K is clear. All the others only give a click when they start and stop. I'd be tempted to turn up the volume, but I think if I could hear 14k, the next thing out of my tweeters would be smoke.

For reference, the highest note on a piano (theoretically, at A49=440 with equal temperament and no correction for inharmonicity, meaning it's actually a bit higher) is 4186 Hz, so I can barely hear the 2nd harmonic of the highest note.

As far as a driver's max frequency, I suspect good quality within the audible range requires response that extends substantially beyond audible.

Melo theory 6th August 2012 11:12 PM

I read in a review once that we get tactile effects at supersonic frequencies :rolleyes:
Like they vibrate the peach fuzz on your ear lobes!
Reviewers.....:no:

Scottmoose 6th August 2012 11:28 PM

Yeah, when sound is going faster than, er, sound, you know you're in trouble. ;)

counter culture 6th August 2012 11:37 PM

I started listening using a pair of old Koss over-ear phones, I couldn't hear the 16k tone, even with the volume turned up.

I went and got a pair of Shure e2c IEMs, I could hear a tone up to 19k, still something at 20k with the volume turned up.

I'm 62. In your face, yoof.