Take this hearing test..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, as you said when somebody talks to me and I'm not expecting it I usally only hear blablabla and have to ask them to repeat. But if I know a person is going to talk to me it's way easier to hear.

I've been to some concerts but always wear ear buds for protection. Never using earphones, but I'm frequently using headphones with my computer but not to extreme levels.

Have you had a proper audiology or ENT exam? "Hearing" is a mechanical / neurological system that can have a range of issues and treatments. At your age it'd be a bloody shame not to have this investigated.

Have you had a proper audiology or ENT exam? "Hearing" is a mechanical / neurological system that can have a range of issues and treatments. At your age it'd be a bloody shame not to have this investigated.

Nope. I haven't done any further investigation since I don't think it's that much of a problem and some of my friends experience it too so it seems to be a somewhat common problem.

I can hear 14kHz fine.
15kHz is much fainter
16kHz is more like sensing its presence.

It seems spending time in a small room with a loud drummer (before I thought to invest in some hearing protection) has taken its toll.

I'm 18.

PS - for those wanting several people speaking (well, singing in this case), try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqU3qb_7so
I can count 3 people.

Last edited:
Family - what we can hear

Very interesting, haven't done this since I was a kid in elementary school during all those tests that just freaked us all out (scoliosis, hearing, vision, whatever). My family's hearing cutoffs (had the others turn around, I'd click either nothing (placebo) or the individual frequency generators):

• Me (41 yrs old) - 17 KHz just fine, 18KHz JUST barely (hardly qualifies as a 'yes' but there was something there)
  • Wife (37 yrs old) - 10 KHz cutoff - crazy! We've always recognized I hear more/better than she does but interesting to actually quantify/qualify this.
  • Oldest (5.33 yrs old) - 18 KHz, no to 19KHz - would have thought she'd hear higher but not concerned
  • Youngest (3.5 yrs old) - impossible to tell, she's too young - is saying 'yes' even when i do a blank click (not firing the tone generator) - not cooperating with me which is...normal :).

When I was in upper secondary school a couple of years ago it was very common by students to play high frequency signals with their phones at loud volumes to freak people out. All students went mad and crazy but none of the teachers I had could hear it. I guess the tone was maybe 16-18kHz and the teachers were all 40+.

So I guess teachers have more hearing loss than other people, seeing as there's many 40+ people here that can hear well up to 18kHz.

I've heard of "teen disrupters" or whatever they're called - when a retail environment has a problem with teens loitering, they install this device that sends out loud tones in the 18 to 20kHz range. Older customers don't notice, but as if by magic the teens don't hang out there anymore.

I've heard of "teen disrupters" or whatever they're called - when a retail environment has a problem with teens loitering, they install this device that sends out loud tones in the 18 to 20kHz range. Older customers don't notice, but as if by magic the teens don't hang out there anymore.

Yeah I've heard of those too but luckily I've never seen one. Such high frequencies are very unconfortable :)

Well to start off with my ears have had tubes sense I was 5 years old. I have scared tissue in my ear drums. I have had my right ear drum reconstructed and reput together. My earing is up and down all the time never the same. I always hear ringing in my ears most of the time and no I didn't answer the phone.:D like I have been asked or joked around with:confused:. I am Off balance all the time and get light headed and dizzy alot. I have had a new surgery that my ear doctor had to attach the tube to my ear drum on both sides for both ears he used some kinda fitting ring so the tubes stay in. So to anwer the question I can hear up to 14khz with ear phones on speakers who knows? I have been listning to fullrange drivers with out tweeters for so long that when I went and heard the golden note speakers at a demo I thought the tweeters were way, way to bright. But, what do I know I am fullrange driver fan:up:. I am 36 years old with mystery earing:confused:. I never know what I am going to hear of if my ears are going to work but, I can hear things most poeple would never pick out or notice;). Like my doctor told me I don't know I have no answers:scratch:.jm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.