Take this hearing test.. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2012, 02:11 AM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Go to an audiologist and get tested
Last time i went, the highest they tested was 10k. One ear was fine, the one with the eardrum i broke during a blown 1 1/2 gainer with a twist had a notch at 8k.

dave
Old 8th August 2012, 02:46 AM   #42
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am glad that others in my age bracket (49) have similar drop offs at 14, 15 or 16. I thought I was missing out on those sounds that are higher than what I called music anyway.
Old 8th August 2012, 02:53 AM   #43
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Now that I have heard the 15k my Tinnitus has kicked in and I can't stop hearing it. LOL!
Damn War!
Age 32
Old 8th August 2012, 03:04 AM   #44
iko is online now iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, early forties here, but the 15k tone I can barely hear.
Old 8th August 2012, 06:47 AM   #45
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
Has anyone repeated the same sought of test with triangle, sawtooth, and trapezoidal (may as well add square wave too) waveforms?
It would be interesting to see what the ears response is to those waveforms compared to sine waves
Yes, using a function generator and headphones.
Listening at very low volume, frequencies above around 3.8 to 4Khz sound identical when changing generator from sine to square to triangle. Below that and the harmonics begin to appear and at around 3.5K or lower and the difference between triangle and square becomes obvious.

With the volume "low" (and it is very low... think 4 or 5 on a scale of say 0 to 30) I hear to around 10K+ as the frequency is swept up. To hear above 10K needs the amplitude raising progressively but it seems to follow a normal curve to around 13.5K where it starts to roll off. To "hear" beyond this needs the level raising significantly. Perhaps as much as 40 or 50 db compared to the LF range.

Age... 50yr
Old 8th August 2012, 07:38 AM   #46
Banned

I will also try it myself
Old 8th August 2012, 08:00 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
None of these do it yourself tests are valid at all. You are deluding yourself if you think you are actually making any kind of scientific test with these online things. Go to an audiologist and get tested. Otherwise, you're just practicing wishful thinking.
The British National Health Service, which for all our grumbling about governments messing it up by putting more & more managers in at the expense of clinical staff remains one of our nation's greatest achievements, would disagree since they point people to more or less identical on-line tests from sites such as Action on Hearing Loss. They even offer free basic speech BW tests conducted over the telephone. Frequently, audiologists primary concern is the aforementioned speech BW, for obvious reasons, with less interest in the limits. However, you're perfectly correct in that, assuming the tones are accurately generated, you are at the mercy of the equipment used to reproduce them, which much of the time (laptop speakers, mediocre headphones etc.) isn't up to much & may well give a misleading result. Unlikely to give one on the positive side, short of massive gain peaking at certain frequencies, but nevertheless. They're usually OK for a quick check & an approximate idea, but they're certainly not lab. quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
I am not even convinced that getting your hearing properly checked by an audiologist is that relevant either
More so than doing it yourself, or it should be, but there are some big caveats, since they frequently don't test above x KHz (about 14 is common TTBOMK), and some of the gear I've seen used is not in the best of condition.
Old 8th August 2012, 08:22 AM   #48
jacozz is offline jacozz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

16K here. 47 years of age.
There is nothing at 17K and upwards
Guess that's life.
Old 8th August 2012, 08:38 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

16K for me to, above that I am able to detect there's something but I can't pinpoint it. Gives me a headache to.. I'm 29 by the way.

Guess all those years of loud headphones and parties didn't do to much damage.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:03 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
16K for me to, above that I am able to detect there's something but I can't pinpoint it. Gives me a headache to.. I'm 29 by the way.

Guess all those years of loud headphones and parties didn't do to much damage.
The damage doesn't show up until later in life.

Hide this!Advertise here!