Choices in Enclosures..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After years of 'not fooling' with Audio..I'm currently keen to cobble together a pair of (likely more :rolleyes:
Enclosures for CHP70.v2 's (awaiting delivery)
Was intrigued by the old Castle Howards ..years ago.
Auditioning revealed they didn't sound even close to their dealer asking price. Didn't Bite :) Attractive/interesting package nonetheless, though that may have had basis in their lovely veneered boxes.
I'm an architect and visuals are as important as sound.
We all have crosses to bear.
Have been exploring the available photos and Buschhorns seemed of pleasing proportion / physical presence.
Perhaps quite outdated, perf wise by now though?

Frugalhorn 3 enclosures are genuinely interesting.
But the large curved rear fin walls (horn mouth ?) and the requisite need to place significantly away from walls (true ?) seem inelegant/offputing.
These will not be in a dedicated Audio room, as reason.
Are there any similarly 'worthy' designs that perhaps bass vent forwards or other wise do not heavily rely on the room walls proximity ?
Sorry... but the choices seem large, yet small, and I'm trying to learn. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Buschhorn is quite dated and getting the CHP70 to work in them is a complete unknown.

FH3 does not need to be pulled out into the room, it is designed to be in proximity of a wall (or a corner for drivers like FE126. Quantity of bass is tuned by adjusting damping below the driver.

FH3 is one of the few boxes specifically designed to take advantage of multiple drivers.

The microTower has a "castle" option which is quite popular, but you need 2 pair of drivers for that.

dave

PS: a number of my computer clients are architects here in Victoria, and a lot more when i was a FT computer guy.

Thank you..
I like the F3.. but don't like the curve/appearance of the sails as a visual or the rear facing horn as an audio device.
Possible to fool with it .. without messing it completely? Reduce the sails to a straight line? Point the horn 'elsewhere' ?
Didn't think so.. but worth asking.
Also; How low do F3's typically go?? at the 3db point :)
Castle clones you directed to, seem somehow of 'different' proportions than those in memory :), tho certainly those oems were of the TQWT variety.
Still interesting tho.
More reading of the 'back issues' in store.

PS: If a Geek :) then I'm thinking you're missing massive opportunity by fooling with 'this' stuff rather than working at developing/selling 3D printers to your Arch. Clients.
Every Architect dreams of having a machine to make instant in office 3d models of his latest inept/bad design. Better 'n Sex to most all of them.
Even I have been exploring/fooling with those gizmos :eek:.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thank you..
I like the F3.. but don't like the curve/appearance of the sails as a visual or the rear facing horn as an audio device.
Possible to fool with it .. without messing it completely? Reduce the sails to a straight line? Point the horn 'elsewhere' ?

Rear loading the horn gives the mouth an apparent jncrease in size, 4x when wall loaded, 8x when corner loaded. The curved mouth makes the high aspect ratio mouth appear to the expanding wavefront out of the mouth closer to a square. Both are critical design elements.

It is also one of the things that most people think gives the FH3 its attractive appearance.

Also; How low do F3's typically go?? at the 3db point :)

Depends on the driver. And the loading. F3 is a close to meaningless piece of data to the ear... F10 is in the 40-60 Hz range in most cases, it is purposely not tuned really low. Quality over quantity.

Castle clones you directed to, seem somehow of 'different' proportions than those in memory

Ir is not a Castle clone, it is an ML-TL inspired by the EPI microTower of the early 70s, but the castle configuration (2nd driver upfiring) is the most popular.

PS: If a Geek :) then I'm thinking you're missing massive opportunity by fooling with 'this' stuff rather than working at developing/selling 3D printers to your Arch. Clients.

I'd ne making way more money if i was still doing computers full time, but it would be much less satisfying.

Every Architect dreams of having a machine to make instant in office 3d models of his latest inept/bad design

But few are willing to pay for them.

dave

Thank you again.. Thought so.. re 'changes' to the design...
sails as horn mouth was an obvious one
On views of "Attractiveness'' however we do differ :) No matter.
Still unravelling this Info Onion.. lotsa layers, seemingly endless actually :eek:

Tripped over your Madisound BK12m .. interesting. I kinda like it
Not fit for the chp 70-2? Or any other 4/5 inchers ?
Odd, to this newbie as to Why it's so specific.
I've seen that design type in a few variants over at least 30 years.
One even fitted with a variable tuning device
What's the basic limiting/determining element in this rascal ?
As in what area needs experimenting with to adapt it?
Or is that proprietary information ?.

Was only curious re that F3, as you call it.
My old Horns are 'claimed' to reach 20hz.
I can barely feel it, let alone hear it. Not overly useful, even if ? real.
Reality is they run approx 35/40hz at 3db... on a good day.
More than enough for me. Which is why I asked.
Besides there's Not a lot of content 'down there' in the music I prefer.

Not so sure re Architects not paying. We do tend towards the frugal as a group. Although imo 'island' architecture is erm atypical.. in most things.
Small insular group there, but it might surprise what the rascals would pay for a new "design toy" as opposed to a computer.. which is merely an office machine/necessary nuisance.
Just a thought.

Perhaps as a Machine / Toy for making bespoke plastic driver parts.. try RepRap.com
It started out being a fascinating device.
Dunno where it's at now, worth a look though.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tripped over your Madisound BK12m .. interesting. I kinda like it
Not fit for the chp 70-2? Or any other 4/5 inchers ?

I was part of a team, i didn't do the design work on this one. Fit for the FE126En

Odd, to this newbie as to Why it's so specific.

Most cabinets are very specific to one driver, the ones that can properly handle multiple drivers are rare.

Not so sure re Architects not paying. We do tend towards the frugal as a group. Although imo 'island' architecture is erm atypical.. in most things.

I've worked with many, many of them since 1990. They are often too penny wise. At least a significant number of them are smart enuff to be working on Macs. My uncle is an architect in San Fransisco too.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
May I usggest to take a hard look at the metronome in either a single driver (close to wall preferred) or in bipole (away from wall preferred).

Not of the highest efficiency or highest SPL. But I have found these to be the best speakers that I have encountered and/or built.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.