diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Richard Allan CG10T's & CG10's (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/217199-richard-allan-cg10ts-cg10s.html)

T110 2nd August 2012 08:09 AM

Richard Allan CG10T's & CG10's

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I'm thinking of pairing up these CG10's and CG10T's in open baffles. Can anyone offer an opinion on whether I should add a simple crossover to the CG10 or just run them both without?
I'm seriously impressed by these drivers with Jazz and Classical.
Also as both drivers are 8ohm and I will wire them in parallel, I believe the impedance will drop to 4ohm so I may need an amp that will keep a grip on them. Valves are not an option at present and I may have my Rotel RA1062 spare soon. As long as I don't over drive the speakers, will this amp be okay?
Thanks. Craig.

the50sagain 2nd August 2012 07:14 PM

I have CG8T's in JE labs open baffles powered, carefully, with a 140 watt HK amp.
I am running with no crossover and the sound is perfect, top to bottom.
Haven't tried more than 3/4 of a watt yet as I think the neighbours would call the noise police.
I reckon run them as they are. Just exert some mantrol over the volume knob.
Recently got some CG12T's that I am building some PHY monster baffles for.
Let us know how you get on.
Tom (down in Hamilton)

T110 3rd August 2012 03:18 AM

Thanks Tom.
When I had a listen the other day I drove them with a 130w Rotel power amp. They really did sound great. I think I'll go with no crossover and see how they sound. Thats the best way to start I think.
These Richard Allan drivers have a superb sense of timing and they sounded beautiful with jazz and classical.
I'll post some pics and some feedback once I'm done.
BTW. I'm a Waikato boy to the core. Grew up in Huntly and spent a bit of time in Hamilton. Great town!

the50sagain 3rd August 2012 08:07 AM

I think we should keep it between ourselves just how good these RA drivers are.
I know my 8inchers sound better than when I first bought them in the very early 70's.
Perhaps it takes 40 years for the doped cambric surrounds to free up properly.

I smile when I hear people go on about whizzer cone problems or lack of bass from an OB.
Just not true if you get a quality driver.
Agree with the classical/jazz comment. Wynton Marsalis playing Mozart is good enough to get the lady next door knocking on my door asking if she can come in and listen.
Her "That's beautiful." comment is the best review I could get since she comes from a family that has generations of brass players.
Now for the big ones !!!!

tinitus 3rd August 2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T110 (Post 3112350)
Hi all. I'm thinking of pairing up these CG10's and CG10T's in open baffles. Can anyone offer an opinion on whether I should add a simple crossover to the CG10 or just run them both without?

1.5way, just a series inductor on low driver, nothing else

Richard Allan fullrange drivers wakes sweet dreams from my youth :drink:
I bet they still have that 'mysterious' scent of tar ?

Papa Hemi 4th August 2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the50sagain (Post 3113436)
I think we should keep it between ourselves just how good these RA drivers are.
I know my 8inchers sound better than when I first bought them in the very early 70's.
Perhaps it takes 40 years for the doped cambric surrounds to free up properly.

I smile when I hear people go on about whizzer cone problems or lack of bass from an OB.
Just not true if you get a quality driver.
Agree with the classical/jazz comment. Wynton Marsalis playing Mozart is good enough to get the lady next door knocking on my door asking if she can come in and listen.
Her "That's beautiful." comment is the best review I could get since she comes from a family that has generations of brass players.
Now for the big ones !!!!

We know about these classy drivers over in Gisborne too, I run a pair of CG8T in QWLT, I really liked their performance in OBs, but they did not serve domestic bliss in that set up. I'm constantly on the search for another pair, wondering how they would react to some doping of the cone - I am not prepared to experiment on the pair I have lest some of the magic is lost.

Melon Head 4th August 2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T110 (Post 3112350)
Also as both drivers are 8ohm and I will wire them in parallel, I believe the impedance will drop to 4ohm so I may need an amp that will keep a grip on them. Valves are not an option at present and I may have my Rotel RA1062 spare soon. As long as I don't over drive the speakers, will this amp be okay?
Thanks. Craig.

It really depends on the sensitivity/efficiency on the drivers whether you will have a problem.
I would rather have a 4 Ohm 96dB/2.8V driver, than an 8 Ohm 87dB/2.8V driver.
I don't know much about the drivers you have but I am guessing they are quite efficient. If so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

the50sagain 4th August 2012 08:42 AM

Hi, Papa. I read about your speakers when you were building them from recycled native woods. It was a comment you made then that first made me want to try an OB.
I wouldn't dope them for the reason you gave.

Some bloke measured a pair of these recently and surprised himself with a sensitivity of 98dB. Most are 8ohm but some are 15ohm.

T110 4th August 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinitus (Post 3113439)
1.5way, just a series inductor on low driver, nothing else

Richard Allan fullrange drivers wakes sweet dreams from my youth :drink:
I bet they still have that 'mysterious' scent of tar ?

Thanks. I made a new crossover for the original CG10's so I may as well use the inductor from that.
I now have the RA1062 spare so that is sorted. Just have to sweet talk my beautiful wife into liking a pair of rather large open baffle panels sitting in the lounge...this may take some time.:)

IG81 20th August 2012 04:09 PM

Hi T110,

I believe we've talked about these drivers before on Audiokarma. My pair of CG10T rested for a while in DIY Karlsons, not the ideal enclsosure for them, but it did good on jazz and classical indeed. They might not have a high enough Qts to really be ideal for OB, but it should still be decent IMO, especially if you use a higher Z amplifier and go 1.5 way with a CG10 underneath. I've driven the CG10T pretty hard and at high SPL with little power, in the Karlson to be fair, so excursion was controled, just watch for this on the OB and it should be dandy.

Good luck!

IG