Richard Allan CG10T's & CG10's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice job T110! You driver placement on the baffle appears to be ballpark for what usually yeilds fair results on "The Edge" baffle simulation software. Bass stil won't get real low and SPL will be excursion limited at some point, but it should be good within that range. Try driving it with a high output impedance SET amp or add a bit of series resistance to see it that improves things in this case.

As far as closed boxes go, the CG10T wants rather large ones. The smallest "ideal" box would be sealed at ~70 liters; if you stuff it well, it might give you Qtc=0.7 with f3 around 60Hz. A tight-sounding vented enclosure might be between 150 and 200 liters and a large TQWT might be the most fun for this, but certainly even larger.

My pair is sitting in boxes right now, I have too many DIY speakers around the place and certainly can't rationalize building something for them, as it would be large. :)

IG

Are you going to use the hf cones too (I'm reluctant to call them tweeters, but that is what they are).
I just love the sound from light paper cones, not at their best on some modern music, but they do what they do do well.
I wonder if you have thought of a resonanting cabinet such as the ones used with Saba drivers (search on lencoheaven if interested), it seems to me that Richard Allans may be suited to this application, and a lot higher WAF.
Then again, if you can get away with it, open baffle does give you that lovely box-free sound...

Hi Papa. I havent ruled out using the paper H/F units. This is really a step by step project. Also with a fair bit of "winging it" thrown in. The H/F unit I have goes up to 17kHz I believe and the CG10T 15kHz so there will be gains if I feel I need them.
Will check out Lencoheaven when time permits.
I also may add side panels of some sort. I have limited myself to cutting these MDF panels only once each (Driver hole) just because this is nasty stuff and I dont like the dust floating around in any way.

Nice job T110! You driver placement on the baffle appears to be ballpark for what usually yeilds fair results on "The Edge" baffle simulation software. Bass stil won't get real low and SPL will be excursion limited at some point, but it should be good within that range. Try driving it with a high output impedance SET amp or add a bit of series resistance to see it that improves things in this case.

As far as closed boxes go, the CG10T wants rather large ones. The smallest "ideal" box would be sealed at ~70 liters; if you stuff it well, it might give you Qtc=0.7 with f3 around 60Hz. A tight-sounding vented enclosure might be between 150 and 200 liters and a large TQWT might be the most fun for this, but certainly even larger.

My pair is sitting in boxes right now, I have too many DIY speakers around the place and certainly can't rationalize building something for them, as it would be large. :)

IG
Hey IG81. At the moment full enclosures are not an option as I don't have the gear or expertise.
I ran these in their old cabinets (backs off) with my 130wpc Rotel amp to reasonable SPL's and noticed fairly limited excursion so this may indicate (hopefully) that the unlikely Rotel will keep the desired grip on the drivers...as long as I don't wind the wick up too far;) This is really a bit of a low budget experiment to see if the open baffle H/E driver sound suits me. If it does tick enough boxes I'll be diving into valves boots and all.
I think I can relate re having too many DIY speakers taking up space. Along with these I have the rather large Goodmans cabinets and another smaller pair of speakers all cluttering up the shed. Rough weather on the horizon I'm thinking...Hehehe.

Last edited:
As we can see on my previous graph, and as I feel it sounds in my room, the CG10T is not doing much above 10kHz, especially if you consider it's beaming by then, so the power response will be rather weak up this high. A helper tweeter that has f3 or f6 around 10kHz can do some good. Even if it does not make it to 20kHz "flat" it'll help out covering what's missing. I had some success with the current Eminence APT:80.

IG

Thanks IG. I saw the graph however I have very limited mathematical acumen due to thinking school was more about playing crash rugby and chasing girls so I'm not really sure what it means.
Thanks for your input though re the 10kHz top end. I was just using some specs I had read.
In all likelyhood I will employ the H/F unit at a later stage.
Hopefully I'll have the prototypes in place tomorrow. One is ready now.
I'm thinking I may alter the angle of the baffle as it is leaning back more than I had thought it would be. I'd like it closer to vertical as I can get it.
Craig.

First impressions tell me to give them a couple of days. Wifey also has given them a couple of days;)

Attachments

• P1070886 copy.JPG
    P1070886 copy.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 206
  • P1070887 copy.JPG
    P1070887 copy.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 189
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.