Richard Allan CG10T's & CG10's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I'm thinking of pairing up these CG10's and CG10T's in open baffles. Can anyone offer an opinion on whether I should add a simple crossover to the CG10 or just run them both without?
I'm seriously impressed by these drivers with Jazz and Classical.
Also as both drivers are 8ohm and I will wire them in parallel, I believe the impedance will drop to 4ohm so I may need an amp that will keep a grip on them. Valves are not an option at present and I may have my Rotel RA1062 spare soon. As long as I don't over drive the speakers, will this amp be okay?
Thanks. Craig.

Attachments

• 220929313_full.jpg
    220929313_full.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 544
I have CG8T's in JE labs open baffles powered, carefully, with a 140 watt HK amp.
I am running with no crossover and the sound is perfect, top to bottom.
Haven't tried more than 3/4 of a watt yet as I think the neighbours would call the noise police.
I reckon run them as they are. Just exert some mantrol over the volume knob.
Recently got some CG12T's that I am building some PHY monster baffles for.
Let us know how you get on.
Tom (down in Hamilton)

Thanks Tom.
When I had a listen the other day I drove them with a 130w Rotel power amp. They really did sound great. I think I'll go with no crossover and see how they sound. Thats the best way to start I think.
These Richard Allan drivers have a superb sense of timing and they sounded beautiful with jazz and classical.
I'll post some pics and some feedback once I'm done.
BTW. I'm a Waikato boy to the core. Grew up in Huntly and spent a bit of time in Hamilton. Great town!

Last edited:
I think we should keep it between ourselves just how good these RA drivers are.
I know my 8inchers sound better than when I first bought them in the very early 70's.
Perhaps it takes 40 years for the doped cambric surrounds to free up properly.

I smile when I hear people go on about whizzer cone problems or lack of bass from an OB.
Just not true if you get a quality driver.
Agree with the classical/jazz comment. Wynton Marsalis playing Mozart is good enough to get the lady next door knocking on my door asking if she can come in and listen.
Her "That's beautiful." comment is the best review I could get since she comes from a family that has generations of brass players.
Now for the big ones !!!!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi all. I'm thinking of pairing up these CG10's and CG10T's in open baffles. Can anyone offer an opinion on whether I should add a simple crossover to the CG10 or just run them both without?

1.5way, just a series inductor on low driver, nothing else

Richard Allan fullrange drivers wakes sweet dreams from my youth :drink:
I bet they still have that 'mysterious' scent of tar ?

I think we should keep it between ourselves just how good these RA drivers are.
I know my 8inchers sound better than when I first bought them in the very early 70's.
Perhaps it takes 40 years for the doped cambric surrounds to free up properly.

I smile when I hear people go on about whizzer cone problems or lack of bass from an OB.
Just not true if you get a quality driver.
Agree with the classical/jazz comment. Wynton Marsalis playing Mozart is good enough to get the lady next door knocking on my door asking if she can come in and listen.
Her "That's beautiful." comment is the best review I could get since she comes from a family that has generations of brass players.
Now for the big ones !!!!

We know about these classy drivers over in Gisborne too, I run a pair of CG8T in QWLT, I really liked their performance in OBs, but they did not serve domestic bliss in that set up. I'm constantly on the search for another pair, wondering how they would react to some doping of the cone - I am not prepared to experiment on the pair I have lest some of the magic is lost.

Also as both drivers are 8ohm and I will wire them in parallel, I believe the impedance will drop to 4ohm so I may need an amp that will keep a grip on them. Valves are not an option at present and I may have my Rotel RA1062 spare soon. As long as I don't over drive the speakers, will this amp be okay?
Thanks. Craig.

It really depends on the sensitivity/efficiency on the drivers whether you will have a problem.
I would rather have a 4 Ohm 96dB/2.8V driver, than an 8 Ohm 87dB/2.8V driver.
I don't know much about the drivers you have but I am guessing they are quite efficient. If so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Hi, Papa. I read about your speakers when you were building them from recycled native woods. It was a comment you made then that first made me want to try an OB.
I wouldn't dope them for the reason you gave.

Some bloke measured a pair of these recently and surprised himself with a sensitivity of 98dB. Most are 8ohm but some are 15ohm.

1.5way, just a series inductor on low driver, nothing else

Richard Allan fullrange drivers wakes sweet dreams from my youth :drink:
I bet they still have that 'mysterious' scent of tar ?

Thanks. I made a new crossover for the original CG10's so I may as well use the inductor from that.
I now have the RA1062 spare so that is sorted. Just have to sweet talk my beautiful wife into liking a pair of rather large open baffle panels sitting in the lounge...this may take some time.:)

Hi T110,

I believe we've talked about these drivers before on Audiokarma. My pair of CG10T rested for a while in DIY Karlsons, not the ideal enclsosure for them, but it did good on jazz and classical indeed. They might not have a high enough Qts to really be ideal for OB, but it should still be decent IMO, especially if you use a higher Z amplifier and go 1.5 way with a CG10 underneath. I've driven the CG10T pretty hard and at high SPL with little power, in the Karlson to be fair, so excursion was controled, just watch for this on the OB and it should be dandy.

Good luck!

IG

Thanks IG. I have completed a rough prototype of one and am fairly positive about the way those two 10 inch drivers sounded. Just haven't found the time to finish the other pair. No hurry though. I'll post some pics soon. Not too sure yet as to the size of the actual baffles as we don't have masses of space and the WAF will be an issue as well:rolleyes:
Craig.

Hey all.
Haven't made much progress with the Richard Allan projest apart from the one mockup that sounded pretty good!
In the mean time I've changed pre amps twice and sold another amp I said I'd never sell.:)
I may put the R/A project on the back burner for a while due to the unexpected discovery of these not two hundred meters from my gate.
They were waiting for the demolition team to come by and throw them in the truck! So after consulting with the ex owner I brought them home...

Attachments

• P1070825 copy.JPG
    P1070825 copy.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 296
They are rather large Goodmans jobbies.
And here is what is inside:):):):):):):)
I'm now thinking I'll use these in an open baffle instead. They do show great potential even in these old "soft" cabinets. There is also the pair of genuine(by the looks) A.R.U panels in the base of the front baffles.
Quite excited.

Attachments

• P1070832 copy.JPG
    P1070832 copy.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 275
  • P1070829 copy.JPG
    P1070829 copy.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 283
  • P1070828 copy.JPG
    P1070828 copy.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 271
OOH!
I have a pair of 201s running in open baffle at the moment. I note that your ones are the 3 rib ones, mine are the 2 rib. one is earlier - I forget which. I use the 201s as my everyday speakers, whereas the Richard Allans are doing tele duty at the mo"- I think tho' that the RA are my preference. Both classics tho'.

Thanks for the input guy's. After going onto a bit of a spin due to 5 pairs of speakers sitting in my garage I had a bit of an epiphany! :scratch:
I'm going back to plan "A".
I'll continue with the original Richard Allan plan first. It will be good experience for me. I will attempt a pair of JE Labs O/B's but stand them on end due to limited space.
Once I'm done with them I'll concentrate on bracing the Goodmans cabinets to try and improve the sound of the 201's in situ. If this doesn't work out I'll go O/B. Possibly JE Labs again as I've read that the 201's go well in that configuration.
Tenaa Koe Papa, I saw on your enz post re your 201's that you mentioned the "Golden Ratio" re driver offset. Can you explain this to me in a manner befitting one who barely achieved "Trade Maths" cert.
IG, after having a wee listen to the 201's I tend to think they are a better all round driver. The R A's seemed to not handle more modern genres of music yet loved Jazz and Classical.
This could all change once they are mounted to a more supportive and rigid baffle though.
Onwards I Say!:captain:

While I don't know the Goodmans 201, it is possible that it sounds better on its own. I have the same impression that you have for the CG10T, that it won't sounds as good on modern music, but I mostly attribute it to its early top-end roll-off. A lot of modern pop, rock and electronic has a lot of HF energy, sometimes an exagerated amount of it to compensate for cheap speakers and earbuds 90% of people listen on. Add a helper tweeter that covers 10kHz-20kHz and you can compare the two drivers side-by-side in a more fair maner. ;) Here is the response I measured for my CG10T, in a ~16" wide 49L reflex:

Blue trace is on axis and red trace is 45°.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

IG

OK. It's been a while so this is my latest update.
I went back to my original project/plan re the Richard Allans.
In the end I decided to continue with these first before I started anything with the Goodmans.
Initially I was going to attempt mounting a CG10 and CG10T in open baffles however I discovered a slight voice coil rub in one of the CG10's. Therefor I am going with just the CG10T's.
Keeping it as simple as possible here are some pics of my progress.
I am limited with space so I went up rather than across.
I may add some side panels at a later date if I feel they are needed.
Wifey is worried about the size. :D
Craig.

Attachments

• P1070878 copy.JPG
    P1070878 copy.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 120
  • P1070879 copy.JPG
    P1070879 copy.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 190
  • P1070882 copy.JPG
    P1070882 copy.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 95
  • P1070884 copy.JPG
    P1070884 copy.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 91
Are you going to use the hf cones too (I'm reluctant to call them tweeters, but that is what they are).
I just love the sound from light paper cones, not at their best on some modern music, but they do what they do do well.
I wonder if you have thought of a resonanting cabinet such as the ones used with Saba drivers (search on lencoheaven if interested), it seems to me that Richard Allans may be suited to this application, and a lot higher WAF.
Then again, if you can get away with it, open baffle does give you that lovely box-free sound...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.