Richard Allan CG10T's & CG10's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2012, 08:06 AM   #11
T110 is offline T110  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Thanks IG. I have completed a rough prototype of one and am fairly positive about the way those two 10 inch drivers sounded. Just haven't found the time to finish the other pair. No hurry though. I'll post some pics soon. Not too sure yet as to the size of the actual baffles as we don't have masses of space and the WAF will be an issue as well
Craig.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:44 PM   #12
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bigger is genrally better with OB, so go as large as you can. Adding "wings" that can fold back might allow for a slimmer frontal profile with the possibility to open them and push down the bass cutoff.

IG
Old 1st October 2012, 05:11 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hey all.
Haven't made much progress with the Richard Allan projest apart from the one mockup that sounded pretty good!
In the mean time I've changed pre amps twice and sold another amp I said I'd never sell.
I may put the R/A project on the back burner for a while due to the unexpected discovery of these not two hundred meters from my gate.
They were waiting for the demolition team to come by and throw them in the truck! So after consulting with the ex owner I brought them home...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070825 copy.JPG (198.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 1st October 2012, 05:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

They are rather large Goodmans jobbies.
And here is what is inside
I'm now thinking I'll use these in an open baffle instead. They do show great potential even in these old "soft" cabinets. There is also the pair of genuine(by the looks) A.R.U panels in the base of the front baffles.
Quite excited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070832 copy.JPG (202.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P1070829 copy.JPG (209.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P1070828 copy.JPG (217.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 1st October 2012, 05:58 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

OOH!
I have a pair of 201s running in open baffle at the moment. I note that your ones are the 3 rib ones, mine are the 2 rib. one is earlier - I forget which. I use the 201s as my everyday speakers, whereas the Richard Allans are doing tele duty at the mo"- I think tho' that the RA are my preference. Both classics tho'.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Nice find there T110! The Richard Allan CT10T might be quite good in these cabinets FWIW. Just make an adapter ring for it and try it. You can compare between both drivers in OB and these cabs to see what's the best in the end.

IG
Old 5th October 2012, 05:50 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input guy's. After going onto a bit of a spin due to 5 pairs of speakers sitting in my garage I had a bit of an epiphany!
I'm going back to plan "A".
I'll continue with the original Richard Allan plan first. It will be good experience for me. I will attempt a pair of JE Labs O/B's but stand them on end due to limited space.
Once I'm done with them I'll concentrate on bracing the Goodmans cabinets to try and improve the sound of the 201's in situ. If this doesn't work out I'll go O/B. Possibly JE Labs again as I've read that the 201's go well in that configuration.
Tenaa Koe Papa, I saw on your enz post re your 201's that you mentioned the "Golden Ratio" re driver offset. Can you explain this to me in a manner befitting one who barely achieved "Trade Maths" cert.
IG, after having a wee listen to the 201's I tend to think they are a better all round driver. The R A's seemed to not handle more modern genres of music yet loved Jazz and Classical.
This could all change once they are mounted to a more supportive and rigid baffle though.
Onwards I Say!
Old 5th October 2012, 12:19 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

While I don't know the Goodmans 201, it is possible that it sounds better on its own. I have the same impression that you have for the CG10T, that it won't sounds as good on modern music, but I mostly attribute it to its early top-end roll-off. A lot of modern pop, rock and electronic has a lot of HF energy, sometimes an exagerated amount of it to compensate for cheap speakers and earbuds 90% of people listen on. Add a helper tweeter that covers 10kHz-20kHz and you can compare the two drivers side-by-side in a more fair maner. Here is the response I measured for my CG10T, in a ~16" wide 49L reflex:

Blue trace is on axis and red trace is 45.

Click the image to open in full size.

IG
Old 9th November 2012, 01:45 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

OK. It's been a while so this is my latest update.
I went back to my original project/plan re the Richard Allans.
In the end I decided to continue with these first before I started anything with the Goodmans.
Initially I was going to attempt mounting a CG10 and CG10T in open baffles however I discovered a slight voice coil rub in one of the CG10's. Therefor I am going with just the CG10T's.
Keeping it as simple as possible here are some pics of my progress.
I am limited with space so I went up rather than across.
I may add some side panels at a later date if I feel they are needed.
Wifey is worried about the size.
Craig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070878 copy.JPG (176.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1070879 copy.JPG (200.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1070882 copy.JPG (149.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1070884 copy.JPG (157.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 9th November 2012, 03:32 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Are you going to use the hf cones too (I'm reluctant to call them tweeters, but that is what they are).
I just love the sound from light paper cones, not at their best on some modern music, but they do what they do do well.
I wonder if you have thought of a resonanting cabinet such as the ones used with Saba drivers (search on lencoheaven if interested), it seems to me that Richard Allans may be suited to this application, and a lot higher WAF.
Then again, if you can get away with it, open baffle does give you that lovely box-free sound...

Hide this!Advertise here!