Need Guidance on Open Baffle Full Range Design w/ External Powered Subwoofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need Guidance on Open Baffle Full Range Design w/ External Powered Subwoofer

Okay, I know there are hundreds of threads out there with this information, I have spent hours on hours looking up what I can do. Please don't get frustrated...

Anyway, as you can see, I am new to these forums, I have never designed, never built a speaker before, but I have always been interested. I do know a minimal amount about speakers, but really need some help to move forward with what I want to do.

I have a Martin Logan Dynamo on the side that I have been pairing with a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s for the time being, but would really like to get into the Open Baffle environment for another set (for when I'm at school)

The Martin Logan can be crossed as high as 80HZ so I do understand that will limit my options greatly. I would really like to have something sensitive, yet affordable. I don't want to drop a lot of money and not enjoy it. So please only send drivers my way which are... affordable . I have looked at my share of drivers, (Fostex, etc) but every single driver seems to not cover that low end, and if they get too big I can't use them as a 1 way.

I am powering these with a vintage Toshiba 30wpc solid state amp and A/Bing them with my Martin Logan.

If I built a 1 way open baffle design, would I need a crossover?

Space is not really an issue, I actually am thinking about building a pair of narrow towers, or bookshelfs. It really doesn't matter to me, I'm just brainstorming.

Thanks for your help

* Please do let me know if I am crazy though, sensitive and open baffle normally don't go together from what I understand...

Last edited by zblowfish; 1st August 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 1st August 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you want a narrow baffle, you are going to need eq.
There's no way around it.
Unless you are willing to do a 1.5 way.
Get a fullrange driver, 8 ohms.
Get another 8 ohm driver, and put an inductor on it for an increase of 6 db to compensate for the dipole loss. You might need eq anyway unless carefully designed.
Old 1st August 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Narrow isn't needed if it's going to effect my driver choice/sound quality, just brainstorming and have always preferred the look of a narrow tower sort.
Old 1st August 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, you are going to need a very large baffle, unless you are willing to eq.
Old 1st August 2012, 04:55 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

dammit, when those pesky laws of physics get in the way of a good idea

zblowfish:

recommended reading to wrap your head around some of the factors involved

OB Theory
Old 1st August 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

aww
Old 1st August 2012, 05:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
Well, you are going to need a very large baffle, unless you are willing to eq.

indeed, thereby creating the conundrum of EQ / power requirement / excursion & SPL limits - all issues that can certainly be dealt with, but driver choice / cost for the widebander becomes a factor

one method to mitigate this somewhat is that if the ML sub has a LFE input that bypasses the internal LP filter, to use an external XO and a higher turnover point (at least 120 to as high as approx 300 with stereo woofers) - this could allow for a smaller OB
Old 1st August 2012, 06:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What about these bad boy's Chris?

Urban Fidelity Art Speakers | Stereophile.com

They go down to 50 Hz.
Old 1st August 2012, 06:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo theory View Post
What about these bad boy's Chris?

Urban Fidelity Art Speakers | Stereophile.com

They go down to 50 Hz.

ah yes, how about those

say what you will, Josh's chutzpah and planned sharing of revenues with the artists responsible for the graphics are to be admired

but reading the whole article:

Quote:
But Urban Fidelity needs funding to get off the ground. At this time* with just 12 days remaining on their Kickstarter campaign, the company is over $10,000 shy of its goal. For more info on the Urban Fidelity Art Speaker and to fund the project, visit Kickstarter.
*July 27/12

so in other words, is this a real product, or just a DIY prototype and some clever photo-shopping and advance publicity? the business plan seems vaporous

care to venture some of your capital on this venture?
Old 1st August 2012, 07:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Looks like I'll probably take another path, thanks for all the help. :/

Hide this!Advertise here!