forgot to post my tri trix build.,,here is a slide show - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2012, 10:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default forgot to post my tri trix build.,,here is a slide show

tri trix vented - YouTube
Old 31st July 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Looks great. But how do they sound? Did they replace other speakers?
Mike
Old 1st August 2012, 02:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default sorry bout the brief non detailed post.

I had thought I had already posted the detail of the build.
These were my first speakers other than boombox stereos and studio monitors. I am a drummer and have gotten hooked on home recording and digital audio mixing and through that hobby have come to know the importance of speakers that can reproduce clear sound.
I was tired of just the audio from our flat panel and after looking into factory built speakers I decided that building my own appealed to me.
I am an electrician and have been in construction for about 15 years so I was not at all shy about the woodworking aspect of things, though I had never worked with MDF.
I decided on the tri trix vented due to their size and the detailed plans that were up on Curt c's website. I did not want to attempt the tri trix TL as my first endeavor and did not want to just assemble the knockdown cabinets.
At the time that I purchase the speaker materials I did not even own a receiver, but I figured that with a busy work schedule It would take me a few weeks to get the enclosures completed and I could find a good audio source during that time.
After just one cut with my circular saw (using a straight edge) it appeared that the deck of the saw was bent out of square by several degrees,( probably a drop or something) I tried and tried but could not get it to my liking,,,,anyway, I ended up making all of my cuts using the router instead,,took a little more time, but I ended up with near perfect cuts.( by near perfect I mean square,, still had some sanding to do to flush up joined edges.
In the time I was building boxes, I found a Denon AVR-3805 reciever for $200 on ebay.
my components arrived very well boxed and all there.
I built my own circle jig and after many test cuts was able to cut my baffles with little trouble.
Sanding and finishing was my least favorite part of the build and when I do another project I may look into a work trade with some painters I know. The enclosures still look very nice even though there are some imperfections when closely inspected.
The crossover was fairly simple to get together though as you can tell from the photo that I am no expert at soldering.
The t nuts were probably what I was most concerned with having never used them, and having such a small area on the baffle to work with.. I tried a couple out on a scrap piece and found that a hammer was out of the question because I wasn't about to start banging on these baffle that I had spent so much time on. I ended up marking and drilling all of my holes, and then after applying wood glue to the nut side of the t nut, I used a stiff washer on the screw and using a cordless drill/driver, sucked the t nuts into the mdf leaving the screw in for about ten minutes before removing. Worked perfect.
I even had enough MDF left over to slap some 2 X 4s together to make stands.(got 2 4X4 sheets for $25!!!
assembly of all components went fairly smooth as well. I decide to use a few screws to mount the crossover vertically in the upper portion of the box.
I was very impressed with the results. I was quite surprised at how low just the 5 1/4 speakers go. Although I have no baseline, I had been speaker shopping and think that for the $200 that I spent to build these, I would have to pay at more to get the same quality from factory built speakers. Plus the gratification I get every day from hearing my hard work is priceless.

Hide this!Advertise here!