Please recommend a desktop fullranger?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
coverage begins here... lots of Ruth pictures linked 2-3 pages on.

uFKTwT-wWoofs-comp.jpg

dave

coverage begins here... lots of Ruth pictures linked 2-3 pages on.

uFKTwT-wWoofs-comp.jpg

dave

edit; weird how the text disappeared ( kinda like Jeff the Pieman's Peach creation)

Interesting choice of photo - while the FF85WK quickly became a favorite hereabouts, they certainly benefit from some help with the heavy lifting, particularly in a large space such as Dave's room - but the biggest speaker surprise of the weekend for me was the performance of the 4" Peerless (Dave - maybe you could pop one out to confirm the model # )

Last edited:
edit; weird how the text disappeared ( kinda like Jeff the Pieman's Peach creation)

Interesting choice of photo - while the FF85WK quickly became a favorite hereabouts, they certainly benefit from some help with the heavy lifting, particularly in a large space such as Dave's room - but the biggest speaker surprise of the weekend for me was the performance of the 4" Peerless (Dave - maybe you could pop one out to confirm the model # )

4" Peerless? According to ZaphAudio, 3" full rangers are more suitable to combine with woofers. Would that Peerless only be used as full rangers?

My buddy was raving about his HT today and the HDS "mains" using a Peerless 4".

I fixed him up with a pair as shown in pic. (way before found out about this site)

They are nice, using one for my center. I think they are flat to 80hz.

Attachments

• HDS HDS Kit 01 - Copy.JPG
    HDS HDS Kit 01 - Copy.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 204
4" Peerless? According to ZaphAudio, 3" full rangers are more suitable to combine with woofers. Would that Peerless only be used as full rangers?

As Dave noted, the Peerless (by now the model number has been confirmed) were used for bass support - 2 way PLLXO at 160Hz (1st order electronic?)

To my ears, a pair of these drivers in the bipole MLTL sound just fine. Maybe someday Dave or Ryan will get around to measuring them in room, but "frankly, Scarlett.... "

While the 12LTA certain had no trouble "out-louding" them, the system pictured above makes the Eminence sound like exactly what they are -

I've used larger models in the Peerless SDS series before - hard to criticize them in any regard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.