newbie speaker construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default newbie speaker construction

Hi to all!!
A few months ago i came across this plan and it looked quite promising (since i'm a total ignorant) as a first time project. Then it disappeared from the the net and, as it's a japanese site, i have no info for it.
However, i decided to give it a try and i have recently finished the construction.
Has anybody seen it before? Do you have any suggestions about stuffing and tweaking? When i return from holidays i'll post some contruction pics.
Don't ask me how it sounds because it's my first fullrange attempt and i have no previous experience, but...yeah, sounds at least interesting!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg katochan-n20100223-1.jpg (472.9 KB, 304 views)
Old 31st July 2012, 02:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

These are some pics taken during construction. I used the Fe126En Fostexes.
Although not finished yet sound detailed and clear. At medium volumes can be a little edgy at female voices and i'm missing high and low frequencies. Maybe this can be remedied using tube gear and a turntable. I know i havent sealed them yet to get full potential (just taped them around for first time listening). I wonder if they'll get more bass when sealed, round the inside turns and/or add a supertweeter to get a wider sound spectrum. So far, i really fancy listening to jazz and instrumental recordings. It really sucks in electronica, dance and rock music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 395404_2556304558220_1646082593_n.jpg (52.2 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg 559564_2848410980698_431908898_n.jpg (83.9 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg 525655_2913165959532_666667783_n.jpg (76.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 309987_2913162479445_1708003949_n.jpg (72.3 KB, 278 views)
Old 31st July 2012, 04:22 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Give them some break-in time.

dave
Old 31st July 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looks like one of the BK's and one shown by Godzilla here for the old Radio Shack RS 1138 (just from memory.) A pleasant design.

I was interested in what look like tabs holding the Fostex in place behind the baffle from what looks like a different material than the cutout.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

planet 10
I did broke them in for about a week non stop playing by connecting them at a cheapo mini system. Maybe its my humble NAD C320 and the crappy marantz cd 4000 cd player to blame. I'm about to change them with someting more competent in the near future.

loninappleton
Those tabs are not of different material. It's the plywood simply shaded with a pencil so as not to peel off the wrong piece of wood. I wanted to leave it as is because it's where the screws are going to be placed.The missing part has been chopped off with a woodcarver's scalpel to leave the cone some space to breathe instead of chamfering it .
Any ideas on stuffing and smoothing the inner U bends? Do you think this might help in any way?
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

maspix04,
the driver has only 0,35 mm stroke, thats the problem, if you simulate it you will find
dynamic compression below 0,7 W, thats an sound issue
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hm
just because i'm a rookie and this is my first attempt at speaker building it was actually a shootcrap!!
Honestly, i didn't understand what did you mean because of my inexperience and lack of knowledge in the subject. Do you mean that the plan suggests an inadecquate speaker or that remedy action is needed to cure a specific problem? Any help would be invaluable...
Old 4th August 2012, 02:25 AM   #8
Banned

I have not done the simulations, but what he is saying is that the driver has limited excurision/deflection (small xmax figure). It will stuggle on bass notes if you try and play loud

Last edited by Melon Head; 4th August 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 4th August 2012, 02:48 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
I have not done the simulations, but what he is saying is that the driver has limited excurision/deflection (small xmax figure). It will stuggle on bass notes if you try and play loud
hm often seems overly concerned with the limited xMax of many drivers.'

dave
Old 4th August 2012, 07:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

In any case, small FR speakers are rarely the best choice for listening to electronica, dance and rock music. Breaking in won't make that much difference in that respect. There is only so much bass that you can get out of a small speaker.
There is nothing wrong with the cheap NAD amp or the marantz cd player.
Best to enjoy them with the kind of music they are best with: acoustical, jazz, ...

Hide this!Advertise here!