Advice for a big room FR speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a large room that I would like to build a full range speaker. Most of the projects I've seen seem to be for smaller listening room (relatively speaking). Here is some data on my listening room I am trying to accommodate.
1) My room is 40' wide x 60' long x 10' ceiling (though 2 rooms cut into this footprint making the total sq. footage more like 2000.
2) The room is fairly live
3) Due to layout, I will not be able put the speakers in the corners of the room. They will go up (flat) against the end wall and be approx 16-17 apart from each other.
4) My listening distance from the speakers will be approximately 18' or so from the speakers

I'm considering the Audio Nirvana 15" in their recommended 5.6 cabinet, but would like some recommendations for other drivers and cabinets that might be well suited for this larger environment.

Anyone have experience with the AN 15" in a 5.6 cabinet in a large room?
Any ideas on another cabinet design that might utilize more height and less footprint? Metronome?

I want to build something that will fill and match the room size.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the insight on box size. If I can accommodate that size (21 cu.ft), could I utilize a design that takes advantage of my ceiling height, keep the footprint small, and keep the cabinets from sticking out too far from the wall - without suffering acoustical degradation? Perhaps dimensions like 8' tall x 2' wide x 1.5' deep with driver mounted near the middle???
Would going with a smaller driver like AN 12" be better?
How would the metronomes work with the 12" drivers in my room?
Any of the Spawn Family of horns recommended for this application?
Any other quick thoughts?
Thanks much for the help?

You'd run into standing waves with those dimensions. Not necessarily a problem, just needs to be taken into account.

The 5.6 IMO is too small a cabinet for the AN 15, except in a handful of particular circumstances.

Depends what you want. I suppose you could try something like Kirishima if you like back-horns, but that's a heck of a room size & while they're fairly substantial by a lot of single driver back-horn standards, even they might struggle. IMO, you're likely to be better off with a couple of HE 15s on the bottom end crossed to wideband compression mid-tweets.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks for the insight on box size. If I can accommodate that size (21 cu.ft), could I utilize a design that takes advantage of my ceiling height, keep the footprint small, and keep the cabinets from sticking out too far from the wall - without suffering acoustical degradation? Perhaps dimensions like 8' tall x 2' wide x 1.5' deep with driver mounted near the middle???

If you want to tackle a project like that , i'm willing to draw up a beta plan for them. I hope you are yound and fit, and have a couple friends to help when they need to be moved about.

dave

ParsonL

what do you think about this:
Horn-sat + 2 Alphorn

Attachments

• 2alphornhornsatkl.dat.jpg
    2alphornhornsatkl.dat.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 250
The prices of the Neo models have gone up considerably. Company claims almost twice the bass output with the AlNiCos.

The extra bass with the AlNiCo may not be what you think - it maybe simply be a consequence of higher Qts from the driver. In the same cabinet as the Ferrite driver it will sound more bass heavy than the non-AlNiCo but that maybe because of a boosted frequency response curve. You can achieve the same with the non-AlNiCo if you design the box appropriately - but most people prefer not to have a hump in the bass response (except perhaps as a form of baffle step compensation).

I don't like the look of the FR plot for the AN 15 Neo, it has a bump in the treble that's quite different than the Ferrite although I haven't had a chance to hear it myself.

I'm planning to design and build a cabinet for my own AN Super 15 soon. Looking at simulations it wants a volume of 250 litres or larger. And it may be more suited to a sealed cabinet than a ported one.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to revive this thread as I am in the same situation with a big room and not knowing what to do.
Was thinking FAST system or a Big Horn or even something like those big AN's
Any advice welcome and certainly would love to hear how this project ended up!
Kindest regards
Adrian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.