CHR-70 Power needs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, Up for discussion is how much power to feed to a pair of CHR-70's

I cant decide on how much I need.

Basically they are my CHR-70's in my shoebox thread.

Desktop Near fields.

Audio Signal will be going thru a MiniDSP

I have my eye on using the MiniAMP in BTL mode for 2x20w

The CHR's are going to be HP'd and there will be either a single or dual 8" woofer for low end duties under the desk. Depending on the option I can get a 2nd miniAMP and feed 2 cheaper 8" subs 20w each, or if I go for another amp I can get a higher powered 8" and feed it whatever I can get for that.

So basically I'm looking to make a nice easy 3 channel amp from modules.

Thanks Spec!

Spec,

Are you planning to go Class-D both ways? I've played around with Hypex UcD, ICEPower, and Tripath Class-D modules. I like the Hypex UcD180ST most - but at the same time it's also the most expensive Class-D I have, and it is with a Hypex SMPS. For Class D quality of power supply matters.

Have read that 41Hz makes nice sounding Tripath amps - if you are game putting together an amp from parts, check out their website. If you want integrated modules (you just have to connect the wires and put them into a box), you can look at Hifimediy - I have their T4 amp which is decent - besides MA FR drivers, they can also drive my subs pretty well (currently not using subs :)).

Be ready to use a bit of equilization with Class-D though. The mid-bass region can sound lean with FR drivers. I have no experience with the new CHR-70.3 though and how they play with Class-D.

I'm currently think D class amps as they seem to have the better value and dont require a large power supply.

EQing them doesn't bother me, Personally I'm not a huge fan of flat curves and Ill be using a miniDSP which will give me a heaps of EQ points if I choose the right plugin.

I spent an hour looking at 42Hz site last night, eyed off a few items there, SMD stuff isn't easy to DIY, but I have the skill to do that, so shouldn't be an issue.

I'm using the CHR-70.2's

Correct, But its hard to find an option that will allow me to build 3 channels in one chassis.

Man, You know a heap of nice looking amps, thanks heals for the help, so far, haha.

They Hypex and Hifimediy look good.

Its hard to find an product from them that lets me run 3 single channel amps from a single power supply, It might be better building them as separate items and using separate enclosures.

Spec, to start off keeping your 2 amps in two seperate compact enclosures will be simpler and possibly offer more flexibility. There are nice and slim enclosure available - you can check Siliconray on the diyAudio site. BTW, Some folks have already nice projects with 6 channels in one box, but as a newbie that kind of scares me. :)

Talking about nice Class D amps there's another called Tristan by Maedos - it takes a TK2050 design from 41 Hz and improves it.

DiyAudio member Kristleifur was a big help in understanding the Tripath and Class-D scene better. :)

Throwing a whole heap of crap into one box doesn't scare me too much, I'm an aircraft engineer by trade, Avionics, A mass of wires doesn't scare me :p

However my wallet says build a 2ch for the monitors, then I can go about the sub later, Might cost a little more, buying 3 enclosures (2 amps and minidsp) and what not, but that can be done over a period of a few months.

Throwing a whole heap of crap into one box doesn't scare me too much, I'm an aircraft engineer by trade, Avionics, A mass of wires doesn't scare me :p

However my wallet says build a 2ch for the monitors, then I can go about the sub later, Might cost a little more, buying 3 enclosures (2 amps and minidsp) and what not, but that can be done over a period of a few months.

Avionics... you guys are used to miles of wiring! :D

Well I have been looking and looking at amps

Its down to the Hypex and Hifimediy amps

There is a big cost diffference between them, The Hypex costing a good $400 in parts as opposed to the $200 for the Hifimediy gear.

I would love the hypex, but I think I might have to get a T1 or T4 from Hifimediy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.